Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Haunted Hikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silvi

silvi
PostSat Jul 29, 2006 8:28 pm 
I was reading an article about the falling of the tree that held Gobbler's Rock in Yellowwood State Forest in Indiana last week.( 400 lb. stone 40 feet up in the tree. )Apparently there are still a couple of smaller stones (200 lbs) still perching in trees in the park. This led me to explore other unexplained phenomena in wild places, like the moving rocks in Death Valley, etc. One of the items I came across was a book called "Haunted Hikes" written by Andrea Lankford, a park ranger for 12 years. Has anyone read this book?

When humans manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "theory." When wolves manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "dinner." You can't eat theory. Therefore, wolves are smarter than humans.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Jul 29, 2006 10:16 pm 
Do a search on Janus Lakes here on the board and you're sure to find similar discussions. That's our own local "haunted" lake. hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Aug 01, 2006 2:56 pm 
I spent one night on the Olympic Coast, in an area with no one else camping, and woke up to the sound of a young female laughing, as if someone was running on the beach. (We were in the trees, above the beach, a good distance up). In the morning I saw a long line of footprints in the sand, that just ended. That ranked up on the weird-o-meter. It didn't scare me, it was just odd. My husband though? Slept thru it, and gave me a "uh-huh" look in the morning. Still love the coast though!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
silvi

silvi
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 5:40 pm 
I've never had an other-worldly encounter in the woods, but thought it would be fun to explore some of the haunted history of the area. I have been scared out of my wits in the woods though, a couple of times. Once was when I was picking brush with my father. About half-way through the day, I suddenly got the heebie-jeebie's and had to go sit in the truck. I could not shake the feeling that something terrible was about to happen. VERY weird. strange.gif I routinely go out in the woods at night, to places I have never been before, to look for lost people, and I don't get spooked, but this time was in broad daylight. Go figure. The only other time I got spooked was on a day hike on the Mckenzie River Trail. I got the same hinky feeling, but was between trailheads, so kept hiking. About a half hour later I came across a BIG cougar track. I figured I must have had some unconscious reaction to some subtle indicator that the cougar was there. eek.gif I have been stalked by cougars and bears before, though, and didn't get that same feeling. Heightened awareness, yes, but not spooked like that, so who knows?

When humans manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "theory." When wolves manipulate the data to fit the situation, it is called "dinner." You can't eat theory. Therefore, wolves are smarter than humans.
neighbor dave
A.T '05' P.C.T '08'

Location: new england, avatar= whackin' mount kancamagus 5-7-04
neighbor dave
A.T '05' P.C.T '08'
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 6:28 pm 
spooky fo sho!!!
i was out bushwhackin mount kancamagus(in new hampshire) one may day,it's a new hampshire 200 highest peak, poking around on what i thought was the summit for the jar/cannister when i was just about to give up for the third time(mountains out here are thick with spruce,so much so sometimes it's really hard to get around) when for what ever reason i looked down to my right and saw a human skull hairy.gif . turns out the dude had been there for 20 years. well needless to say i moon.gif my pants and got the hell out of there, but not before i flagged the area with a red stuff sack. i was so freaked out by this whole thing i started runnin' down the wrong side of the mountain. well i figured that out fairly quickly,pulled myself together and proceded down the right way, mumblin' to myself the whole way down. blah.gif well to make a long story short i brought the cops,forest service, and fish and game bushwhackin' the next day. they put the rest of him(after they dug him up) in plastic grocery bags and hauled him down the mountain.

where's jumpin' joe mcgrath???
silvi

silvi
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 7:40 pm 
The rest of the body. I mean story.
after they dug him up. So I take it someone planted him?

neighbor dave
A.T '05' P.C.T '08'

Location: new england, avatar= whackin' mount kancamagus 5-7-04
neighbor dave
A.T '05' P.C.T '08'
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 4:03 am 
it seems 20 years of forest duff covered all of his remains 'cept fer his noggin'. that was layin' on top of the duff and had a greenish tinge to it!! spooky enuf??? agree.gif

where's jumpin' joe mcgrath???
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 4:48 am 
I know someone who was doing the PCT, and she & her partner stopped to camp at Janus. 'Round midnight, they both woke up with a hinky feeling. It got creepier & creepier, for no reason they could figure. The creepy feeling got so strong that they both just packed up, in the middle of the night, and left. And it's not like she's a crazy #358 bus person, either. This woman is #5 Express. I mean this person is as right as rain as you get.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
silvi

silvi
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 6:03 am 
Yes, Neighbor Dave. Most definitely creepy enough.

tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 10:39 am 
Just came off a hike to Lower/Upper Lena Lakes. I had heard that the trail that splits at Lower Lena and goes to the Brothers is "spooky". The night I spent at Lower Lena I heard a long wailing kind of scream from the Brothers trail direction; makes the description of a banshee comes to mind. I'm glad my boys were asleep; it would have scared them spitless hairy.gif.Anyone else heard this spooky wail up there? confused.gif

baseball and hiking ... that's life!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 6:39 pm 
tennessee treader wrote:
Just came off a hike to Lower/Upper Lena Lakes. I had heard that the trail that splits at Lower Lena and goes to the Brothers is "spooky". The night I spent at Lower Lena I heard a long wailing kind of scream from the Brothers trail direction; makes the description of a banshee comes to mind. I'm glad my boys were asleep; it would have scared them spitless hairy.gif.Anyone else heard this spooky wail up there? confused.gif
I hate Lower Lena Lake. The place for me is just plain creepy. Some places bug me, and I am never sure why-but I know I don't want to stay there again. Maybe it is because I have stayed at Lena only in winter-it just has a very cold feeling, not inviting.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.