Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Question for gun experts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 am 
I need some visual references for muzzle flashes, and I'm not seeing anything too great on google images. Are semi auto/full auto muzzle flashes from a tech nine or an uzi star shaped? When is a muzzle flash star or xshaped? Most muzzle flashes I'm seeing on the web are looking more like a small burst of flame, like a flame from a lighter sort of.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:44 am 
Skippy says, "tut-tut-tut-tut-tut-tut!" Timmy says, "What, Skippy? No, I don't think they're shooting kangaroos! And stop that bloody tutting!"

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
ree

ree
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:46 am 
Listen, I need visual references... not sound fx references. Skippy does NOT sound like rapid fire! rolleyes.gif

Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am 
I am not an expert, but I think this thread contains what you are looking for: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229664 You see star or X-shaped muzzle flashes on TV and in movies. I think that's because they're using blank firing adapters (BFAs) to provide sufficient gas pressure to operate the firearm without a bullet. BFAs often direct the gas that escapes our the sides. With my centerfire rifles, you either see a big old fireball (without the flash suppressor) or little to no flash (with it), as shown in the linked thread. I fired M16 rifles and M60 machine guns at night in the Army and they didn't produce huge flashes - that's the whole point of the flash suppressors attached to the muzzles.

ree

ree
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:00 am 
Wow! Thanks so much for that link!! -and for the info too.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:06 am 
Good one Dante. Dave Workman, where are you? hockeygrin.gif Ree, there are a number of answers to your questions. And near a million variables. I hope that site can help you out. You gun nut! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
salish

salish
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 11:49 am 
I believe most of what we see on TV, movies and the net are blanks designed to give the maximum flash in order to jack up audiences. I've been shooting handguns and rifles since I was a kid. I'm a hunter, gun collector, and for a brief time when I was a police officer I had the opportunity to shoot an Uzi, a Schmeisser MP40, and a beautiful 1928 Thompson with the pistol-grip forearm and drum magazine. None of the weapons belched fire like we see in the movies such as "Heat".

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 12:04 pm 
The only ones I have seen with a pronounced muzzle flash are pistols that take rifle ammunition like a 30-30 Thompson Contender.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Skinem

Skinem
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 4:51 pm 
A lot of the "muzzle flashes", especialy the really big ones you see in movies today are an artist's rendering--they're often computer generated graphics and are not real muzzle flashes at all. One frequent give-away in a poorly done movie is when the gun sounds (the bang-bang-bang) doesn't sync with the flashes.

Earth First! We'll strip mine the rest of the galaxy later. They call me the thread killer...
ree

ree
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 6:00 pm 
Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. I didn't realize the star-shape I'd seen a million times in muzzle flashes, was in fact the result of a blank going off on set. Thanks for the clarification. Of course there's not a thing I can do about the woman in the shot who is holding the gun by the magazine!!! rolleyes.gif

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 7:23 pm 
Might try detonationfilms, they have lots of stuff blowing up.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:44 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Good one Dante. Dave Workman, where are you? hockeygrin.gif
Minding my own business, thank you very much. biggrin.gif I've been checking out some of the other threads. Over on the grouch thread, I believe I've been accused of being a "lobbyist" with an agenda...and elsewhere..... But I am also gratified by the support and kind comments. Now, down to cases. A muzzle flash out of a real, live, bullet-firing firearm is pretty much a ball-shaped flash of light lasting a nano-second, with a point of flame projecting outward from the ball as the powder finishes burning beyond the end of the muzzle. It's not shaped like a star or anything else. It is a spherical flash with a point, rather like half an hour glass. It might be best described as a ball with a cone projecting outward from the muzzle.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Caller

Caller
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:17 pm 
Some Flash suppressors will give off Star like burst. wink.gif

coylh

coylh
PostSat Sep 09, 2006 10:07 pm 

Caller

Caller