Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Tennerife via Kamikaze Falls Trail.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RG

RG
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 9:36 am 
I Parked at the School Bus turnaround a little over one mile past the Mt Si TH. Walked the gated road for 20 minutes to a unmarked trail on the right. I found this by following and old(1/2005)TR by "naturealbeing", excellent directions and pictures btw! I followed this trail all the way up past the falls. Came to a clearing near the top with some cliffs and saw a large herd of Goats. I have to get a camera! From here it is a bit of a bushwhack and scramble to the top. About 4 inches of snow at the top. Trail is in good shape and steeeeep! RG

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
aestivate

aestivate
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 am 
You seem to have missed the "trail closed" signs put up by the DNR at this unmarked trail. They are trying to discourage use, since this bootleg trail is in a bad alignment and poorly laid out. This is not atrail that should be publicized. Wake up, people.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 10:05 am 
FWIW, There are no "Trail Closed" signs at this "trailhead". I'm not saying there never was, but there aren't now.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 10:16 am 
Kamakaze Falls was written up in the PI too. Karen was instrumental in getting the trail opened for hikers. There was a huge thread about it last year.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 10:39 am 
There was a sign, alongside the road/trail to Mt. Tenneriffe where you start uphill to Kamikazi. It was there as of 7/30/06 when I went. It doesnt say trail closed though, it says

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 10:58 am 
Well of course "this is not a trail". "This" is a sign.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 11:28 am 
Delighted to hear about the goats. For a long time, they've been absent from the "front" of Mount Si, where they used to be a real kick to watch through binoculars from my front yard. I was afraid winters and mountain lions got 'em all. Glad I was mistaken. Evidently, they just moved to a less populated neighborhood smile.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 11:31 am 
Sounds like a good hike...maybe I will have to check it out...

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 6:09 pm 
Was just up there today. Saw no sign (or goats).

Karen

Karen
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 6:30 pm 
I was not instrumental in getting the trail "opened". It was never opened. It just evolved. I got a lot of flak from DNR about that PI write-up as well as various "users" -- I consider that write-up a big mistake on my part. I should have checked with DNR first regardless of my beliefs or personal views. In lieu of recent threads (I won't even hint of the R-word), but let's keep this one quiet otherwise I'll be blamed again for folks "using" this trail. PM each other about this one, please. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 10:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
Was just up there today. Saw no sign (or goats).
I wonder who has that sign now ? Probably some dorm room decoration somewhere. Campus chic . lol.gif

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Nov 01, 2006 10:47 pm 
Tenerife and Kamakaze Falls
I do not recall Karen's report; but, is Kamakaze Falls worth the adventure? Several times in years too long ago to count, I ventured from Mt. Si out to the old roads and ridge toward Tenerife. Thought the hike down th road might be interesting...but, never did it. Is that road still "available"? DNR worrying about accidents and lawsuits? Actually, more trails are needed, not fewer. There is a need to distribute concentrated hiking population instead of channeling it onto fewer and more and more "popular" routes. Then again, there are those writings saying there are ever fewer folks out hiking and backpacking (decling sport since the view is that the younger set have to be back in town to party and have not commitment for overnighting). Somehow, I think that is some "B.S.". Thanks for the trail description....and, I doubt I will "trespass" on that route...unless Kamakaze Falls really is "sensational".