Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Si Old Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 14, 2006 8:56 pm 
The weather looked OK today so I looked for one which would not requir snowshoes or skis and I knew there is not too much here. I always liked the old trail as it is all business. Started up in sun and no problems until the branch from the Little Si trail where there was a stream flowing down the trail. Alternated between sides to the switchbacks where the stream diverted. A couple new small blowdowns but no real problems. There was snow in the last few hundred feet but not enough for gaiters. It was lightly snowing on top with a little wind but not extreme. Took a few pix on top
si111406 001
si111406 001
si111406 006
si111406 006
si111406 005
si111406 005
si111406 004
si111406 004
si111406 003
si111406 003
si111406 002
si111406 002
The rain increased on descent but nothing outrageous.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HIKER56

HIKER56
PostTue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 pm 
"Old" vs " New" ?
I really did not know there was an old & new trail... Where is the old trail in relation to the new?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 14, 2006 11:15 pm 
The old trail branches off the Little Si trail just before the creek and is to the west of the New Trail. It intersects the new trail maybe half a mile from the top and again when you first hit the rocks. There is also an old old trail. and several more obscure routes.map

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Nov 15, 2006 12:16 pm 
Cool Map MC. Years ago... just as I was starting to realize that "I am a Hiker", my father and I had some free time in North Bend while the ladies were doing some baby shower thing. We had a few hours to spare and though we would go walk up Little Si on this dull, cloudy day. This is when the trailhead was just to the left of the bridge crossing the river. We headed out the trail (tennis shoes, no packs... just a walk). Shortly we came to a 'Y' and choose to go Right (I think). There was a small diameter branch lying across the trail... didn't even consider that maybe it was placed there intentionallly. We hiked... and hiked and hiked... higher and higher. Boy, this sure is a lot taller than we expected. Ultimately, we concluded we were headed up the REAL Si. We're already all this way so we continued onward and finally intersected a trail and followed it to the big rocky bouldery area just below Haystack. Of course, we had never been there and it was pea-soup thick fog so we couldn't see anything beyond 50 feet or so. For years I was never really sure whether it was Si or just some other high spot. We didn't encounter a single person on the trail that entire day. It was a great hike and we returned safely and in a timely manner. I did finally summit Si (and Haystack) with decent views (and a million people) many years later. Good memories!

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Nov 15, 2006 7:14 pm 
Malachai C., what a nifty treat, a familiar place dressed in dowdy grey and appearing almost a mystery to my eyes. Thanks for the photos. Love the "prow" with the small tree clinging to it. Not much evidence of the recent flood from the birds-eye-view from the summit. Thanks for the map. Terrific!