Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grand Ridge 1/12/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 am 
Wow, the Issaquah area got hit hard by the recent snowstorm. It's a real winter wonderland out there. Looking for a trail that involved minimal driving on icy roads, I chose to hike the Grand Ridge trail, starting at the High Point trailhead. This trail has recently been extended by WTA work parties, and now almost reaches Duthie Hill Park, making for a hike of many miles in pleasant forested terrain. Right from the start at High Point, a half-foot of snow covered the trail, almost enough to make me wish that I had brought my cross country skis. The cold and powdery snow dusting the landscape made for a beautiful winter scene. Some yahoo had driven a snowmobile on the trail, quite illegal here, but I appreciated the packed trail that the machine had left. I followed the Issaquah-Highpoint Trail, an old railroad grade, west for a mile, then veered right onto the actual start of the Grand Ridge Trail at a signed junction. The trail climbed steeply at first; then after a crossing a creek, whose deep trench stopped the scofflaw snow machine, the path gradually leveled out on the top of Grand Ridge. I followed the trail for several miles, to a point where the trail left an old road bed and crossed a marshy creek on a turnpike bridge. Along the entire length of the trail, blowdown had been removed (thanks King County!), and there were few difficulties encountered on the trail other than deep snow. To make a loop hike, I followed the unsigned spur trail that leads to Upper Preston at 280th Dr SE. This trail was in terrible shape with mud, brush, and blowdown. A final long walk on icy roads took me back to my car. Someone asked a long time ago about skiing the summits of Tiger, maybe this is the time to do it.
Icicles, High Point-Issaquah trail
Icicles, High Point-Issaquah trail
Grand Ridge Trail
Grand Ridge Trail

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 2:03 pm 
Great report whitebark---I just hiked that entire Grand Ridge area from High Point exactly the same as you back last Wednesday just hours before the snow came in. The trail up in there is very, very beautiful---huge trees also, lovely rolling winding gully here and there to roam through. I really enjoy getting up in there and can't wait for the complete trail to Duthie Hill Park to be done. Heck, I'll have to start stashing a bike up Duthie Hill and then I can be dropped off I-90, hike to it, and bike back home to Fall City to complete the loop up.gif Lots of waterfalls on the flowing creeks after all the rain along the way too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message