Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deer Creek road to Kelcema Lake trailhead 1/12/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 8:28 pm 
Me, Dicey, Yana, and Matt (hubby) decided to go on a snowshoe to Kelema lake via deer creek road. Brr was it cold even at the trailhead! Already a good amount of snow there... maybe a foot. The FS had plowed out a nice little parking area for us. We were dismayed to see another car already there though. We walked up the little hill at the beginning on nicely packed snow due to the sledders that had previously been in the area. hmmm.gif And around the gate. Shortly thereafter the sled tracks stopped and we were following the trail of what seemed to be 1-2 skiers and a snowshoer. We passed through some nice little bits of light that shone through the trees illuminating the snow.
'lil cone
'lil cone
Loaded branches
Loaded branches
Sunlight
Sunlight
I also took this as an opportunity to take a few shots through the trees above.
A peek through the trees
A peek through the trees
another peek
another peek
We then noticed some funny tracks in the snow that we think are from a deer.
What tracks are these?
What tracks are these?
At about a mile or less the trail dips down ever so slightly before heading up again for the rest of the trip. Not quite sure where but we started to come out on a bright sunny spot and here was where I took a picture of Long Mountain.
Long Mtn
Long Mtn
The sun also lit up the trees so nicely that I had to get a shot of that as well.
sun through trees
sun through trees
? peak and nice blue sky
? peak and nice blue sky
The sun was so nice and warm... I didn't want to leave it! But back into the shad we went. At some point we stopped for a snack and I noticed this sign.
Private property borders this?
Private property borders this?
Guess the trail we were on bordered private property... nice to know. While everyone else was starting to move again...
off they go... leaving me to my pictures
off they go... leaving me to my pictures
I snapped a few more shots
up through the trees
up through the trees
woods
woods
I asked Matt how he was doing... he said "ok". He looked rather tired.
Matt- "how'd I get drug into this? I'm doin this for you..."
Matt- "how'd I get drug into this? I'm doin this for you..."
We were pretty lucky to have everything so frozen over. We didn't have to cross the creek!
bumps and shapes on creek
bumps and shapes on creek
The log didn't look like a safe alternative anyway...
cool log
cool log
off they go again!
off they go again!
As we went back into the shaded woods again I saw a very frozen stream with all these chunks of ice falling down.
stream with ice chunks!
stream with ice chunks!
I thought that was pretty cool. Shortly before lunch we saw this nice tree and Devil's peak.
Devils peak and an old huge tree.
Devils peak and an old huge tree.
Don't have a shot of it... but Carla made sure to toss her thermos right on top of mine and spill tomato soup on me. hmmm.gif Thanks Carla! After lunch we noticed that the tracks of the persons before us dissapeared. They had turned around (or were ghosts) paranoid.gif and we figured they must have been from the day before. Time to break trail! Got a good shot of bald as we started.
Bald Mtn
Bald Mtn
And some other cool stuff.
hoarfrost on snowy downed branch
hoarfrost on snowy downed branch
Carla got tired breaking trail and I took a turn for a little bit. I had taken for granted the nicely plowed path of the people before me... Boy was it some work! I still kept a fairly steady pace... although I had to remove my coat... too hot! At one point we stopped and noticed our buddies had fallen far behind. We stopped to admire some icicles while we waited.
Carla looks at the icicles
Carla looks at the icicles
icicles
icicles
Shortly after this we reached the trailhead and it was turn around time. My thermometer read around 15 degrees! Ouch! We headed down quickly... Carla even more quickly on her skis and was out of sight in seconds...
yay! Downhill!
yay! Downhill!
I decided to risk a shoe shot since i'd forgotten at lunch. I awkwardly balanced with my foot up.
Shoe shot!
Shoe shot!
Then we got a nice view of... Big 4?
ooo
ooo
Miss Yana decided to be a little crazy and try to pull a stunt.
A risky venture
A risky venture
She almost did it!
She almost did it!
Luckily she survived! agree.gif On the way back I took a couple more shots of the late afternoon light.
nearing sunset
nearing sunset
clouds on peak
clouds on peak
And retired the camera for the evening. We headed down semi quick... semi slow. About 2 1/2 miles from the trailhead we saw a man heading towards us with a huskey. He stopped and we asked if he'd seen a skiier recently. He said he'd seen "someone" about 15 minutes before and wasn't sure what they were wearing. We kinda thought he was crazy. dizzy.gif It was around 3:00pm. Hope he made it out ok! shakehead.gif When we got to the trailhead... Carla had been there an hour and was huddled near a fire. Overall it was a pretty nice hike with some great views even though we didn't make it to the lake.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 8:49 pm 
Nice pics GG. The company and the weather were both great. Oh, BTW, we did get a nice view of Big Four, but that's not what the photo is of... Um... I'm not sure what that is. It looks like Long Mtn from about 3 miles in. (and I learned an important lesson: trying to walk across a narrow, snow covered log with snowshoes on for no particular reason is a stupid idea)

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 9:02 pm 
Glad you guys had a good trip! up.gif Hey, we stopped to look at those icicles too!

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 9:15 pm 
Thanks for the TR GLHG. I am heading to the lake tomorrow for an overnight and hopefully some igloo building. Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 9:15 pm 
You silly wabbit - - - - - those are bunny rabbit tracks! Eh, what's up doc? hihi.gif s.d. (upon consultation with Sadie)

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostSat Jan 13, 2007 10:49 pm 
So glad to hear you had a really nice trip but kinda bummed we had to miss it. smile.gif frown.gif Nice photos, Rach!

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Jan 14, 2007 8:07 am 
Feel priviledged you actually got a face shot of Dicey.. I usually only see her from behind the whole time..way far in the distance lol.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSun Jan 14, 2007 8:48 am 
I guess i'm in better shape... i was able to keep up when I wasn't taking pictures of cool stuff... hehe. It wasn't a problem if I stopped and they kept going cus i'd just catch up a few minutes later... hehe..

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Jan 16, 2007 8:23 am 
GodlyLittleHikerGirl wrote:
I guess i'm in better shape...
As well you should be, Im 20 years older with arthritis lol.gif Now how about coming along friday to break trail the whole way, we need someone young and strong so us old geezers can make it the whole way. I can keep up as long as someone else is doing the hard work of breaking the trail for me. wink.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley