Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Save Blanchard Mountain!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 10:45 am 
Help make Blanchard Mountain a permanent Recreational Area! I saw a bumper sticker today that led me to this site. What's the issue? Blanchard Mountain is located in NW Skagit County, between Chuckanut Drive and I-5. A beautiful, local area. Just thought I'd pass along this info to my fellow hikers. *** This is not meant or intended to start any kind of political discussion of any sort ***

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 11:59 am 
I hear that there's a plan to convert some of the land to condos and homes. It's a pity - it's a beautiful mountain, just next door to Chuckanut Mtn (near Bellingham)

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSat May 13, 2006 7:28 pm 
Chuckanut Ridge
seawallrunner: The "plan to convert some of the land to condos and homes" is called Chuckanut Ridge. It's private land south of Fairhaven and a hot topic around Bellingham. They won't be building any affordable housing for working stiffs up there, just ridgetop trophy homes with views of the water. Last summer, saw many "Save Chuckanut Ridge" signs around town. Unfortunately, that land has a very high real estate value so the county/city can't afford to outbid the developers. In addition, a few years back the city contracted out a study to rank potential purchase sites based on objective ecological criteria. Chuckanut Ridge did not score high presumably because it's upland timber, not riparian or wetland, etc.. "Chuckanut Ridge's importance discounted Report ranks quality of habitat behind other sensitive areas" at http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060305/NEWS07/603050322

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostThu Feb 15, 2007 3:09 am 
Blanchard Mtn verdict
Chuckanut lovers and all others interested: The Washington Department of Natural Resources has come up with a plan for Blanchard Mountain (Lizard Lake, Lily Lake) in the Chuckanuts. As of 02/13/2007 Bellingham Herald's piece on what will happen. Basically, it's a compromise and the Legislature (i.e. taxpayers) will have to cough up some dough/$. Some of the environmentalists, as represented by the organization Conservation Northwest (formerly known as the Northwest Ecosystem Alliance) have this to say about the Agreement. Personally, I'm glad to read that someone is trying fend off the hill and ridge top residential development. I'd prefer a clearcut any day over a trophy home with "No Trespassing" signs and fresh gravel driveways.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 15, 2007 6:40 am 
Quote:
I'd prefer a clearcut any day over a trophy home with "No Trespassing" signs and fresh gravel driveways.
Thank you. After years of verbal abuse, I shall treasure this quote. I shall start off my day in a cheerier mood. wink.gif wink.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Feb 15, 2007 8:47 am 
yew_betula wrote:
I'd prefer a clearcut any day over a trophy home with "No Trespassing" signs and fresh gravel driveways.
Sounds like dealing with the devil, but I have to agree. I don't curse a unit or two of timber being harvest from Tiger or Rattlesnake Mountains... Not when I see how Cougar Mountain has become a place for encroaching development to dump its lawn clippings. shakehead.gif (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) clown.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 15, 2007 9:37 am 
The Blanchard Study group Agreement sounds OK to me. It "includes a protected 1,600-acre roadless core containing a majority of the trail systems, the lakes and cliffs on the mountain's top, and a linkage to Larrabee State Park." Plus protection for rare plants and stuff like that. It appears that the disputed acreage was basically split in half, with the stuff least valuable as recreation land or conservation land being clearcut, and the best recreation land and most critical habitat land being "saved". This is actually far better than what I figured would happen, which was top-to-bottom clearcuts. And we do need some logs now and then in our society, so the logging that will occur is OK with me, too.

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostThu Feb 15, 2007 11:04 am 
dance.gif dance.gif dance.gif This is awesome! What a great compromise....MAYBE we CAN all get along? I know these folks on both sides did a TON of work making this happen...It is such a pretty spot, I'm glad that we can all enjoy it for years to come...

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
whitebark

whitebark
PostThu Feb 15, 2007 12:06 pm 
Yes, it is great that a compromise has been reached. Blanchard Mountain is so beautiful. As long as the current trail mileage is preserved, I will be pretty happy. Say what you will about clearcuts, they will open up some incredible views. However, I hope they have a plan to firmly close and put to bed any new logging roads that are built, after logging is completed. This is one important detail that needs to be worked out.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostFri Feb 16, 2007 2:26 am 
houses vs clearcuts
Quote:
After years of verbal abuse, I shall treasure this quote
Good! I'm glad I made atleast one person cheerier. But, the earlier statement only applies to private land and not to state/DNR, USFS or BLM land since these government agencies can't build residentially develop the land they manage (atleast not yet). In general, I'd be fine with a modest level of industrial strength clearcutting on state DNR lands and on National Forests unless it was in a roadless area or was real old-growth or violated a site-specific environmental resource. A little tangeant: Arizona State Trust Lands are sometimes sold to subdivision developers and that money goes to fund schools. The public is not allowed to even set foot on AZ State Trust lands without a written permit! Whitebark: I'd like to see DNR obliterate and reveg any new logging roads and skid trails once logging is complete. Thankfully, vegetation grows and fills in quickly in this neck of the woods so 15 or so years after logging it will not be so bad. I hope they can helicopter log some of this stuff; that'd be nice. It'd also be nice if they designed the timber sales to mimic natural disturbances with no straight, sharp edges, lots of leave trees, patches, and snags with plenty of wood left on the ground. Hopefully, they'll go easy on the herbicides let red alders come in, then go easy on the fertilizers. One of the newspaper articles said the public will have a chance to comment on the Agreement. The lower end of the Oyster Dome Trail not too far above Chuckanut Drive goes through an old clearcut logged (I think), in the late 1980s which isn't so long ago for forests. That stretch of the trail is not all that painful to the eye. It seems OK to many. Here's a gratuitous pic of my dog at a small opening in that old clearcut.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 16, 2007 6:14 am 
Another cheery morning. I don't like to go to the Wenatchee Valley anymore. I grew up there, and hate seeing the hills being taken over by houses. I wonder if the folks who bought them know that those hills used to turn black every few years? And on the logging discussion, helicopter is pretty expensive right now, and the market is down. I'm working in some commercial thinning stuff, about 12 inches ave. diameter. It's all skyline yarding. We now have what I call sensitive new age loggers, who are trying pretty hard to make things look good. It is pretty hard, but that's what we have to do to keep working. I'm really seeing a need for some higher elevation clearcuts. I like to pick and eat huckleberries and my old patches are now barren. The trees have grown in. No new openings are being created and pressure by pickers on existing huckleberry patches has increased. All I want is a couple gallons to give to friends for Christmas gifts. smile.gif smile.gif Maybe some day it'll all make sense.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities