Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > KUOW- The Drop in Park Attendance
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 08, 2007 4:22 pm 
just my lousy two cents worth on the above question: after spending about 9 hours reading ( see urls above ) i'm now more disinclined to believe there any reason nps statisticians would artificially inflate or deflate the numbers. it appears to me that great effort has been made to strive for accuracy in their user count numbers, which they are more than willing to concede might not be 100% accurate, but as close as they can get ( 95% accurate, per my conversation yesterday ).

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 08, 2007 9:04 pm 
ski said
Quote:
i'm .... disinclined to believe there's any reason nps statisticians would artificially inflate or deflate the numbers
You're probably right, ski, except that the government statisticians (I was one) don't make the decisions about what gets published. The administrators/bureaucrats do that ....... and I'll guarantee Peltoms is right: their job is to make sure the parks look as busy as possible. It effects their budgets. It effects their pay! ....... Man, you ought to watch those guys maneuver to try to get their grade increased, by trying to show that their jobs have gotten bigger. mad.gif Oops. Is that politics? Anyway, with those crazy NCNP statistics, they not only couldn't justify their jobs, or any trail maintenance; they couldn't justify printing a trail leaflet. Bah. Humbug. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 09, 2007 2:54 am 
hey, now here's an nps facility where they say the attendance numbers are up

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."