Forum Index > Trip Reports > Palouse Falls 3-9-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 4:36 pm 
I like the photos of Franklin COHP and Juniper Dunes a lot. Can one pitch a tent out there for the night?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 8:18 pm 
I wouldn't suggest camping on or near the Franklin COHP since it is on private land but there is camping at Palouse Falls.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 10:42 pm 
As Dean said, Franklin COHP is private property, it is someone's farm so definitely no camping. You could camp at Juniper Dunes if you wanted. You would have to use the Peterson Road approach as the Joy Road approach is for day use only. You would, however, have to pack in all of your water. And it would be insufferably hot in my opinion during the traditional backpacking season. But it would be OK at this time of year. Given the modest size of the area and the lack of water, I think dayhiking might be the best option.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Mar 16, 2007 12:32 pm 
Eric, this shot is for you.
I'm standing atop the highest prominence point in Franklin county (not to be confused with the county highpoint). The Hunt Benchmark is located in a farmer's field south of Kahlotus. The rest of the Washington list as compiled by Greg Slayden is found here This pic was taken by Bob Bolton on a february day in 2006. I was just recovering from pneumonia and even this hike of about a mile was almost too much for me. The background shows the fearsome and jagged topography of eastern washington's farm country. wink.gif Oops, I forgot my ice axe and crampons biggrin.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160