Forum Index > Trail Talk > Who can suggest some hikes in Canadian Rockies near Banff?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 10:20 pm 
Tanja, Daisy and I are going to a lodge for a week+ in between Banff and Lake Louise next week. I could use some help from anyone who has some info sources to suggest, or some specific hikes in the area. We will want a couple of short, easy hikes to waterfalls or glaciers or something, and at least one real hike, 2-3,000 vertical and 10 miles max r-t. I guess hiking will be easier in Canada due to the exchange rate! dizzy.gif Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 10:44 pm 
I spent a week up there a couple of years ago over Labor Day weekend. My info is limited, but hopefully you'll find some use out of it. I really enjoyed my hikes in Yoho National Park -- Lake O'Hara (if you could possibly swag a bus shuttle pass) and the Iceline Ridge. The Iceline is where you will get your vertical gain and mileage, and you can take it as far as you want to. I actually made a loop trip out of it, going up the Iceline, down to Celeste Lake, and then to Twin Falls, back down past Laughingwater (?) Falls, and then to the trailhead -- that was something like 17 miles. There's a way to hike to Twin Falls without going through this route, but it may be more than the 10 miles you want. BTW, Twin Falls become "Singular" Falls by September... I can't recall the elevation gain for the Lake O'Hara circuit, but you're sure to find some beautiful scenery and lots of lakes and small waterfalls -- one of my favorite hikes. If the elevation gain on the circuit route is not enough, you can take the alpine route to the hut up above at a trail intersection along the way. Be sure to include a drive on the Icefield Parkway towards Jasper! You can do roadside stops at Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta Falls. None too impressive, IMHO. At Mt. Edith Cavell, I hiked towards the Angel Glacier, but didn't go on it due to the lack of time. That's a short yet awesome hike -- you really feel the presence of the mountain's grandness there. Though I didn't go there, the locals seem to really like the Potholes and Johnston Canyon. If you hike up Sulphur Mountain in Banff, you'll get a free cable ride down. The views are nice despite the crowds. I didn't hike Lake Louise. Sentinel Pass and the Sunshine Meadows area are nice dayhikes, but it doesn't fit the criteria you're looking for. If you're interested in pics, let me know, I'll try to scrounge up some from the trip. Hope this helps! Happy vacationing!

Always take the scenic route.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 11:03 pm 
TravelHiker Thanks, it did! We are staying at Johnston Canyon Lodge, so if there is hiking near that, I'm sure they'll know about it. I like the idea of the cable car, since I sometimes like to get to the top the easy way. You mention that sentinel and sunshine don't fit my criteria: are they too easy or too hard? I meant the vertical figures as maximums. If the hikes are less, they might work. Does anyone know if there is a "100 hikes in BC" or in the Canadian Rockies?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 12:03 am 
Well damn, if you're staying at Johnston Canyon, first and foremost, you need to hike up Johnston Canyon. After that, pick up "The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide" by Preston and Robinson. Absolutely outstanding book. It essentially covers all the parks in the Rockies (not Waterton though). I'd recommend (aside from Johnston Canyon) Agnes Lake / The Beehives, Bow Glacier Falls, Lake O'Hara (yoho), Yoho Valley - Whaleback - Iceline loop (yoho), Rockbound Lake, Cascade Amphitheater and practically anything in the Icefields area.

Don K. Shane

Don K. Shane
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 8:22 am 
Thanks, S.F. The trail guide is just what I was looking for. Thanks for the specifics, too. They will not be wasted! biggrin.gif

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 8:46 am 
Well we may head up there this weekend as the weather forecast is teasing us again - Will we be fooled again? We are 0/3 so far with weather in the Rockies (0/4 if you count the trip I did when I was 7) As much as I would like to promote Canada I will tell you a secret - THE SUN NEVER SHINES IN BANFF Those pictures - all fakes! Anyway if by some miracle you get half decent weather (actually I think this curse only applies to us so you should be fine) THE HIKE - is Lake O'Hara. An Italian Stone mason built the most incredible trail known to man on the ledges above the lake. It's 7.5 miles if you do the whole thing but there are points where you can bail along the way making a much shorter loop. You need to take the bus to get there (which is good as it keeps the number of tourist down) they accept reservations but you can also try just showing up. Lake McArther, the best short & easy trail in the Rockies is also there. You can't really go wrong in that place although I would save Johnson Canyon for a rainy day I have all my specific recommendation with stats on my site - I would suggest you check out our Rockies 2000 folder for pics of Lake O'Hara. Keep in mind that these are some of our very first SLR pictures - back when we had little experience, less gear and put a lot less effort into photography - and they still look incredible

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 3:59 pm 
Slugman wrote:
TravelHiker You mention that sentinel and sunshine don't fit my criteria: are they too easy or too hard? I meant the vertical figures as maximums. If the hikes are less, they might work. Does anyone know if there is a "100 hikes in BC" or in the Canadian Rockies?
I used "Classic Hikes of the Canadian Rockies" -- I found it quite useful. There is a book called "103 Hikes in Southwestern British Columbia", but I don't think it gives any info on the Rockies. BTW, I meant to say "Ink Pots" instead of "Potholes" at Johnston Canyon, and "Laughing Falls" instead of "Laughing Water Falls". Oopsy. dizzy.gif I'm also wrong about Sentinel Pass -- I didn't remember it being as much elevation gain as it is, somewhere around 750 m. Given that, it fits your criteria, it's a great hike to the Pass, with views of the Wenchemka Peaks and Larch Valley, and an oh-so-close feel to Mt. Temple. The parking lot at Moraine Lake is usually packed, a mecca of tourists and photographers at Moraine Lake. The good news -- not too many people venture onto the trails. When I was there, it was a "bear restricted" area, meaning you need 6 or people in your party to hike the trails there due to bear activity. If you're short on hikers, you might be able to tag along with a party at the trailhead, or stop by the Lake Louise hostel for hike sign-ups. Sunshine Meadows -- I hiked to Rock Isle, Grizzly, and Larch Lakes and towards Simpson Pass -- maybe gained 800 ft elevation total. There are limited shuttle runs so you'll have to time your hikes and pickups, and the cost is nominal. It might still be snowed in a bit up there this time of year. I stayed in a few hostels while up there -- various people suggest I hit up Edith/Cory Passes, Lake Bourgeau, and Cascade Amphitheatre in the Banff/Lake Louise area, and Opal Hills up in Jasper on my next visit. I've tried to attach some photos, but it's not going through -- maybe later... David & Karen, INCREDIBLE journal! up.gif TH

Always take the scenic route.
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 8:20 pm 
Slugman, if you are spending a day in town, check out the Banff Springs Hotel--a class piece of architecture. The falls on the Bow is just a short evening walk from the hotel and quite nice. The drive from Banff to Jasper is awesome. Don't miss Athabasca Falls. If you go to Yoho, don't miss Takaka Falls, a short hike. And don't forget to sing the following song.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 9:17 pm 
Thanks ever so much, y'all! David and Karen: Great site, and congratulations on the nuptials. The pictures make me feel like a kid waiting to go to Disneyland: I just can't wait! TravelHiker: Awesome info, just what I needed: specifics! Polarbear: We are spending a night in Kamloops (this Sunday) to make the drive less strenuous, and then at Johnston Canyon Lodge for five nights (thru Friday), then two nights in Jasper. We may drive home Monday the 7th of July, or we may stay in Kamloops again, since I don't have to be back to work until Wed. The reason for this fractured itinerary is that we booked these rooms just this week, and we have the dog, which is less of a problem in Canada. We will definitely check out that hotel in Banff.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 10:11 pm 
If you are serious about getting a hiking book there is only one choice 'Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies' - by Kathy & Craig Copeland - unless you plan to move there permenantly it will be impossible to narrow down the best choices without this book. You may be familiar with their North Cascades book already. They also have 'Gotta Hike BC' - sort of a 'Best Of' collection which is a must have for every hiker and books with a more indepth focus on one area like 'Hike Where the Locals Hike' about the dry side of the Rockies and 'DWYT in the West Kootneys' about the wet side. Here is their website: http://www.wild.bc.ca

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 12:14 am 
I'll be going through Canmore, maybe I'll stop in and get my book from their headquarters. Thanks.

Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 6:43 am 
Sinclair Creek Trail
Near the entrance of Kootenay N.P. there's the Sinclair Creek Trail. It can be made a nice loop but, unfortunately, I can't recall the trail the the west that completes the loop. The trailhead is at a pull-out on the north side of the road as you head up from the entrance of the park. The other trailhead parking is perhaps 1/2 mile down the road. You'll hike through a forest along a stream gradually gaining elevation. Fairly typical. Then it begins to broaden and open up until you come the the Kimberly-Sinclair Col. There are wonderful long views here, mountain goats, and some nice sheltered spots for lunch (if needed in the wind). Plus there's a nice walk-up peak right there. There are photos, etc. under the Rockies section on my home page. Have a great time. Food tip: Myrtle's in Invermere B.C. for a friendly, elegant, excellent dinner at very reasonable prices. Nice little off the main road town.