Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scie
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 9:09 pm 
Agreed, RayD. We could have been developing and using alternative fuels besides fossil fuels some time ago if the oil lobby hadn't pushed so hard to maintain the status quo. The U.S. does deserve credit for controlling emissions as much as it already does, monitoring industry, and improving efficiency in everything from light bulbs to HVAC systems. Burning fossil fuels has other more direct impacts on the environment and that is reason enough for me to refrain from using them abundantly.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dale

Dale
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 9:48 pm 
Geoengineering & Climate Change http://www.free-eco.org/articleDisplay.php?id=543

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 3:48 pm 
The Great Global Warming Swindle
Here is a classic example of a reasonable scientist duped into appearing in a Global Warming 'denial' movie - a counter point to "An Inconvenient Truth" Scientist used on the film responds

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 5:37 pm 
Thanks D&K. I believe that's the most articulate statement about "scientific thinking" that I've ever seen, a reasoned statement about the differences between what we know and what we think ....... and the consequences of getting them confused. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Dale

Dale
PostWed Mar 21, 2007 12:09 pm 
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 6:37 am 
Great link, Dale; thanks for posting it.
Former Vice President Gore wrote:
"The planet has a fever," Gore said. "If your baby has a fever, you go to the doctor. If the doctor says you need to intervene here, you don't say, `Well, I read a science fiction novel that told me it's not a problem.' If the crib's on fire, you don't speculate that the baby is flame retardant. You take action."
This is from testimony on Capitol Hill yesterday. This is exactly the problem I have with the man-made global warming argument. Gore has stigmatized his opposition as being engaged in Science Fiction and ignorant. He's drawn a parallel between the earth's warming temperatures affecting humans and a crib being on fire affecting an infant, which is ludicrous and absurd IMO. He's compared our government to a doctor who can presumably treat the condition by simply writing a prescription. Apparently being rational and reasonable about the issue is completely lost on these folks! Where is the acknowledgement that their concerns are still just based on one theory about climate change with other theories that are as viable or even more sensible also on the table? The fact that this issue has reached an extreme that extends far beyond the original science that founded it has convinced me that the underlying truth no longer seems to matter to them. What a shame, because the actual scientific information coming in on both theories is fascinating and compelling.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Dale

Dale
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 9:30 am 
http://www.free-eco.org:80/articleDisplay.php?id=549 In the Bozeman Daily Chronicle, March 14, 2007 Join the Climate Change Crusade? by John A. Baden, Ph.D. A climate change crusade is underway. We are all being called upon to stop Global Warming’s (GW) assault on Gaia. It’s the biggest Green movement since the first Earth Day in April of 1970. Earth Day has garnered widespread support by incorporating a full spectrum of causes. In Boston, they may rally around “sludge,” dioxins and other such noxious substances. While here in Bozeman, we’re more concerned with the romance side of the Green equation: parks, wilderness, riparian habitat, bison, etc. Because it combines sludge and romantic concerns, GW has in itself created a Green crusade with wide appeal. This was evident at MSU on March 5th. <snip>

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Apr 04, 2007 7:10 pm 
Gore speaks at the Embedded Systems Conference...but some reporters are inconvenienced. hmmm.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Apr 04, 2007 7:32 pm 
PB, I'm not sure what you intended by
Quote:
...... but some reporters are "inconvenienced".
It sounds like a put-down of the media. ....... In fact, it's a valid, rather well done criticism of Gore's attempt to exclude the press from his speach.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Apr 04, 2007 10:41 pm 
I was using the word inconvienent in this context:
Quote:
There was a principle involved. If the Embedded Systems Conference could exercise its First Amendment right of assembly and Al Gore could enjoy his First Amendment right to speak freely, then both of them must face up to the inconvenient truth that the press has an equal First Amendment right to show up and report Gore's comments.