Forum Index > Trip Reports > Navaho Pass/Peak and Three Brothers 6.22-6.24.07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Phlox

Phlox
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 10:21 am 
This is my first trip report. With the iffy weather forecast for the Olympics (our original destination), I decided that it would be a good time to check out the Teanaway area. This was my first trip over there, and I was not disappointed! Day 1: Jon and I got a late start, leaving Seattle around 11am. We arrived at the Stafford Creek trailhead around 1:30. There were 3 other cars, and 2 parties would pass us on their way down. We hit the trail around 2pm and made our way up the pleasantly gentle Stafford Creek trail in sunny weather. There were a ton of butterflies on the trail, congregating around the muddy patches. Some of them looked like this:
butterfly
butterfly
And others were small and pale blue. We took our time, stopping for lunch and other breaks, and arrived at the meadow below Navaho Pass at around 6pm. There was no one else in the meadow, and we selected a nice campsite across the meadow. This would be one of the most user-friendly campsites I have backpacked to, as there was a stream running right by, and there was already a line attached between two trees for hanging food. The meadows were thick with shooting stars, and there were a bunch of glacier lilies as well.
camp
camp
shooting stars
shooting stars
shooting star
shooting star
glacier lily
glacier lily
One other group arrived while we were setting up camp. After setting up camp, we made a quick jaunt up to the pass to have a look at the view of the Stuart range before the incoming clouds socked everything in. The view was, of course, stunning, and would be even better the next day. We saw a deer run across the slope below the pass. We had a pleasant evening at camp, though it was a tad on the chilly side. Day 2: We slept in until 8:30, made breakfast, and hit the trail again. Our plan for today was to hike up to Navaho Peak and the eastern summit of the Three Brothers, if the the weather cooperated, which it certainly did. The view from Navaho Pass was amazing today.
view from Navaho Pass
view from Navaho Pass
We headed east on the County Line trail, and soon left it to follow the boot path up to Navaho Peak. The views just got better and better. We found and signed the summit register (first summit register for us) and enjoyed the view and ate some lunch.
Stuart Range from Navaho Peak - 1
Stuart Range from Navaho Peak - 1
Stuart Range from Navaho Peak - 2
Stuart Range from Navaho Peak - 2
view from Navaho Peak
view from Navaho Peak
Mt. Stuart from Navaho Peak
Mt. Stuart from Navaho Peak
Next was the ascent of the Three Brothers. We made our way down Navaho Peak and descended over the Navaho ridge. Lots of scree. Looking back up towards the ridge, there were some interesting cloud formations:
interesting clouds
interesting clouds
Eventually we intersected with the County Line trail again, and started to follow the boot path up the Three Brothers. It was a fun (though somewhat tiring) scramble to the top. Great views again from a slightly different angle.
view from Three Brothers
view from Three Brothers
More summit registers! In addition to the main register (which we signed), there was another tube labeled "Alpine Roamers" with a single sheet of entries from circa 1971. We enjoyed the views for a while (including a half rainbow circling the sun) and descended a different way from our approach. Some boot glissading made the descent far faster than the ascent. We tried to find the County Line trail (or any trail) again, and I think we were on it for a bit, but lost it in some snow. We wound up making our way up the scree back up the ridge, finding a snowless opening over the ridge top. Eventually, after descending the other side, we were able to find the trail again. Some more cool cloud formations:
more interesting clouds
more interesting clouds
The wildflowers were amazing on this trip! There were so many varieties from Navaho Pass and above. I thought I'd try to take a picture of each type, but soon realized this was futile and would be incompatible with returning to camp at a decent hour to eat our freeze dried dinner of chicken and rice and "s'mores" (the latter are quite tasty!). Anyway, here's a sampling (of the flowers, not the s'mores- sorry!)- as you can see, I don't know the names of most of them.
douglasia
douglasia
paintbrush
paintbrush
balsam root
balsam root
phlox
phlox
lupine
lupine
Anyway, we made it back to camp and had a pleasant evening- it was a bit colder than the night before. The stars were amazing at around 2:30am after the moon had set, making a necessary escape from the warm tent worthwhile. Day 3: We slept in again until 8:30 (notice a trend?), had a lazy breakfast and took our time packing up camp. It was sad to be leaving! The morning was overcast, and by the time we started down the trail at around 11:30, there were some light sprinkles. While we were packing up camp, two parties descended from above- I wonder where they had been camping, as we didn't see another soul during our Saturday travels. The trip back to the car was pleasant and uneventful. We made it to our car at 2:15pm and headed back to civilization. Sigh. It was a great weekend- great views, wildflowers, and company!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 10:38 am 
I hope this will be the first of many trip reports from you. Not a bad way to spend three days. Looks like Navaho was about 40 degrees warmer than our April visit. There are many more Teanaway peaks for you to explore.

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 10:42 am 
A big welcome!! great report and love the images!!!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 10:43 am 
up.gif Is the countyline trail snow free now around Navaho Mtn. ?

Living in the Anthropocene
Phlox

Phlox
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 11:13 am 
Thanks! wildernessed- The County Line trail (heading east from the pass) was snow-free at least until the point at which we left it to ascend up Navaho Peak. We never quite figured out where the trail goes around Navaho Peak- I think some of it is probably under snow, but only in patches.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 pm 
First trip report or not... you camped in my camp spot... please send me $25.00... I know it's only $5.00 a night at the Beverly Creek Campground, but this is a much better campsite.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Phlox

Phlox
PostWed Jun 27, 2007 4:04 pm 
I left a check for you in the summit register, next to your entry- it expires soon, better go up and get it!