Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blue Mountain and Maiden Peak 7.4.07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 7:29 pm 
I made the pilgrimage to Deer Park in the beautiful Olympic National Park. Deer Park has always been one of my favorite areas of ONP. I went to Blue Mountain first and bagged one more peak where a fire lookout once stood. I never knew it, but the park service has a repeater for their radios on the summit of Blue Mountain. Mt. Baker and Glacier Peak were out in all their snowy glory and much shutter delay later I walked back to my car and drove to the trailhead near the Deer Park Ranger Station. I began walking down the trail towards Obstruction Point from the small parking lot. Its been nine years since I last hiked this particular trail. I know, its been too long and it was a good excuse to return. The trail follows an old road bed before leaving it and climbing up the ridge. Before the national park was created the forest service was going to connect Deer Park, Obstruction Point and Hurricane Ridge by road, but ran out of money. The park service wanted to revive the project, but eventually decided not because of a large outcry from the public not to destroy one of the highest trails in the Olympics. I think it was a good decision because its one of my favorite highcountry trails in the Olympics. I hiked a bit slowly since I was a victim of much shutter delay with my camera. And it was a handy excuse not to get too foggled. As I hiked I watched fog come down the Strait of Juan de Fuca from the Pacific. By the time I returned to the trailhead Dungeness Spit was clear of fog. I decided that Maiden Peak would be a good spot to hike to and stop for the day. Once I got to the summit, I spent a good part of an hour at the views spread before me. The Needles, the Dungeness Valley, Glacier Peak, Mt. Baker, the San Juans, Victoria, Vancouver Island, Hurricane Ridge, Mt. Angeles, Sequim, Port Angeles, Ediz Hook, Dungeness Spit, Grand Valley, Blue Mountain and the list goes on and on and on. There were many flowers starting to bloom: Indian Paintbrush, phlox, lilies and a few other flowers I couldn't identify. Once three people left the summit of Maiden Peak I hung around for a few more minutes before I headed back down the trail to my car and the long long drive home. I can see why I don't come to this area for day hikes all that often. 215 miles round trip is a bit long of a drive for a day hike, in my opinion. But, I still only burnt half a tank of gas.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 10:22 am 
Very nice, thanks for the TR.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Twister

Twister
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 6:40 pm 
Deer park