Forum Index > Trip Reports > Intro to the North Cascades with Mike and Tom 9-8/14-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 8:57 pm 
Heh. Reading another post in the forums just reminded me that I forgot to unload and weigh the rocks I'd added to my pack on day one. hockeygrin.gif Edit: 17.8 ounces of mineral goodness!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 10:14 pm 
Wow, what a trip you guys had! And the photos rockband.gif

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 10:48 pm 
Just wanted to add some more comments on the photos. My compliments to Schmidts on your selection of photos - great variety of lakes, people, glacier, rocks, peaks, and light. Tom, wonderful shots of the water in so many forms, colors, and depths. I especially like some of the shots where you can see several lakes in different colors at different elevations. BTW, do you use a polarizer for the lake shots? I notice your shots get a good view deep into the water. On Tom's money shot, two things. One, can someone label the peaks in the background? Two, what I like best isn't even the dramatic surroundings, but the view of the lake itself in its vertical context, where you can see how brims over its basin and flows out the waterfall. So interesting to see all the smaller tarns along the way. They were all covered in snow when I was there.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 11:52 pm 
Matt, I'd agree re. the Schmidt's selection. Love the variety, especially the people shots. As far as polarizer, yes, I rarely shoot without one. As you noted, it adds another dimension, and I'd highly recommended one if your camera accepts an adapter tube. You do have to be careful as it does slow down the lens and there is a tendency to overexpose snow and unevenly polarize the sky if you're not paying attention. As far as snow cover, you do miss a lot. I don't know why people do it when there is cover, though I suppose some of the choss / loose gullies might be less problematic. Same for the bugs. Best time to visit IMO is just after the bugs are gone. It was so nice not to have to deal with black flies this time!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 1:25 am 
Uploaded a couple panos (see the second post) for your enjoyment. hockeygrin.gif As a warning, they're definitely not for the bandwidth impaired. All the pics have been sized down to a height of 750 or 850 pixels but still weigh in at between 1 and 1.5 megs apiece. Edit: Adding a couple YouTube videos as well. winksmile.gif Arrival at the tarns:
Checking out the glacial flow:
Green Lake and the outlet of Bacon Laken:
Tom crossing the outlet of Bacon Laken:
Jeremy and Tisha "crossing the threshold" of Bacon Laken:
View from Blum High Camp:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 3:57 am 
Tom wrote:
Mike Bagging The High Point
Mike Bagging The High Point
Looks like Mike is doing more than just bagging the high point. shakehead.gif Thats gotta hurt lol.gif Glad you prevailed this time. Incredible pics all. Thanks up.gif up.gif up.gif

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 7:56 am 
Good gravy thats a lot of visual stimulation... Rock on dooods!! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif rocker.gif Ten points for money shot. A gazllion more for the rest of the flicks.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 am 
Michael those panos are incredible. They must have taken you forever to put them all together. Both in the taking of the pics, and the processing.... Nice job!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 11:04 am 
Thanks BPJ... Taking them's the easy part. Stitching and cropping can take a while longer. wink.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 4:04 pm 
DHM, your pans are gorgeous. In fact, too gorgeous. It's becoming almost physically painful for me to look at any more of this thread; it makes me so much want to be where you were.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 4:39 pm 
DHM, you've got some inspiring panos there. This is definitley one of my fav TRs of 2007.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 6:15 pm 
Thanks for the kind words guys. It's hard to have a bad shot with a backdrop like that. I'm just glad I was there to take it all in. agree.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 pm 
Hey Mike, nice panos. I noticed your Berdeen pano shows that campfire the other party at Berdeen was having.
Quote:
I can't say I've never had a lapse in judgment when it comes to building a fire in the backcountry, but seeing that campfire at the pristine shores of Berdeen really irked me. There bugs weren't out. It wasn't cold. It wasn't dark. They didn't appear to be cooking fish. It just seemed like they were having a fire for the sake of having one. Wood was limited. The fire wasn't small. It wasn't like they were were going to be able to hide their trace. I really wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 6:29 pm 
Ha! You're right... I do remember grabbing a shot of that for posterity's sake. The thing that pissed me off about the fire was that it was burning brightly, but neither of them were even around it... One was down fishing, the other, sitting 25 feet away looking off into the horizon. Neither ever sidled up to it to enjoy its warmth, etc. Kinda silly to build a blaze and then ignore it. down.gif down.gif

blastoh

blastoh
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 pm 
Gret shots guys. Looks like you had lots of fun. thanks for sharing. As mentioned more than once above, I'd also love to see a map with the route.

"Getting up is optional, getting down is mandatory" http://vimeo.com/donjensen | http://flickr.com/donkjensen