Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Have you ever driven through something like this?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 pm 
Some of the best advertising for the "environment" were the
Some of the best advertising for the "environment" were the clear cuts visible from I-90 behind the lake. Tens of thousdands of people a day drove by and went "Oh my God! Look at that !! They should DO something!!" and lo "they " did. Twenty five years later, it doesn't look so bad, but those of us who remember the fresh cut hillsides remember the power of that view, and that it lingered bare and nasty, for many years...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 18, 2008 7:04 am 
That's odd. I always liked seeing the shapes on the hillside when we drove over to Tacoma for a visit. There was a triangle shaped one that always seemed interesting to me. Hmmmm. Perhaps that was a hint at what kind of a job I should get as an adult. But my parents always said that the clearcuts were where we get our wood for stuff from. Not how horrible, etc.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Apr 18, 2008 10:27 am 
kbatku wrote:
Twenty five years later, it doesn't look so bad, but those of us who remember the fresh cut hillsides remember the power of that view, and that it lingered bare and nasty, for many years...
The I-90 corridor is a gallery of bad logging practices. Just by itself, the hideous "Zorro" clearcut near North Bend is a great recruiting tool for the Sierra Club. That steep mountainside with its tiers of crumbling logging roads is taking forever to grow back.

dRoberts

dRoberts
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 7:13 pm 
I've seen those clear-cuts along 101 on the western olympic pennisula, I used to get very emotional over it, until I started thinking about the massive housing developments in other parts of the country (i.e. seattle) those trees will all one day grow back. that is the point of tree farming, that land is owned by logging companies. you can check out how often they harvest and when the next harvest schedule is. With housing developments and suburban sprawl, that's the future for that landscape..more houses. so just be thankful those clearings aren't gated-communities your looking at.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 11:53 pm 
Quote:
those trees will all one day grow back
Yeah, they will, in 400-500 years. What little true old growth we have now is in tree museums, almost no one alive remembers the stands of truly big trees that used to be here. Hell, probably NO ONE alive does. The "tree farming" is done out of necessity - relying on an abundant supply of natural occurring lumber is a fools errand. Oh, btw, my family were loggers & forrest service for years & they all told the horror stories of over harvesting/underplanting that led inexorably to the environmental clampdown of the 70 - 80's.