Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skyline Trail-Martins Park-North Fork Quinault - 9/13-9/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 pm 
before you are totally impressed thinking that i, bcfc53, did this multi-day hike, forget it shakehead.gif my friends did this and when they emailed me their TR, i thought it was worth it to post on nwhikers.net. so with their permission here are some of their photos (click to see a bigger photo) and simple TR. Jan and I made a 5 day loop trip which included the Skyline Trail from Quinault to Low Divide and a side trip to Martins Park. From Low Divide, we returned to our starting point via the North Fork of the Quinault trail. The storm damage on the North Fork trail was incredible. There were many washouts, several requiring some scrambling to get around. The washout at Wild Rose Creek required using a 15 ft rope high cable ladder. The weather on the trip was clear and sunny, it was a great time in the mountains!
One of many waterfalls along the route.
One of many waterfalls along the route.
Reflection Lake.
Reflection Lake.
Part way up Kimta Peak, we crossed a col and came face to face with this bear cub about 20 ft away.
Part way up Kimta Peak, we crossed a col and came face to face with this bear cub about 20 ft away.
Looking down the Queets river to the Ocean from Kimta.
Looking down the Queets river to the Ocean from Kimta.
down from Kimta, we ran into three more adult bears, here's the first one.
down from Kimta, we ran into three more adult bears, here's the first one.
here's the second one. The third one was laying in the tall grass just above the trail. Jan spooked him as she approached.
here's the second one. The third one was laying in the tall grass just above the trail. Jan spooked him as she approached.
The meadows turn brilliant red in the fall.
The meadows turn brilliant red in the fall.
The remnants of a large forest fire east of Kimta Peak.
The remnants of a large forest fire east of Kimta Peak.
This large basin looked more like the surface of the moon than the Olympic Mountains.
This large basin looked more like the surface of the moon than the Olympic Mountains.
Our camp the second night was by a small stream, Mt Zindorf was across the valley.
Our camp the second night was by a small stream, Mt Zindorf was across the valley.
The  moon rising behind Mt Lawson.
The moon rising behind Mt Lawson.
Mt Olympus from the Skyline trail.
Mt Olympus from the Skyline trail.
Lake Beauty with the Valhalla's as the backdrop.
Lake Beauty with the Valhalla's as the backdrop.
Upper Martins Lake.
Upper Martins Lake.
Mt Seattle reflected in the upper lake.
Mt Seattle reflected in the upper lake.
The Elwha Snowfinger from Martins Park. This is the source of the Elwha River.
The Elwha Snowfinger from Martins Park. This is the source of the Elwha River.
The upper end of the snow is at 4800 ft elevation at the entrance to Queets basin. The lower end is at 3200 ft elevation. This is a lot of snow for this late in the year.
Mt Christie reflected in upper Martins Lake.
Mt Christie reflected in upper Martins Lake.
Mt Taylor from the Christie Col.
Mt Taylor from the Christie Col.
The rope ladder at Wild Rose Creek.
The rope ladder at Wild Rose Creek.
The sunset at Lake Crescent on our way home. A beautiful ending to a great trip.
The sunset at Lake Crescent on our way home. A beautiful ending to a great trip.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 10:30 pm 
Please pass my compliments along to your friends - great pictures. I love the moonrise over Lawson and the Mt. Seattle reflection. Great shot of the snowfinger too. Thanks for posting this bcfc!

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Sep 23, 2008 2:47 pm 
i love their photos! i'm sure Dane that you recognize some of the places. i thought that they were also going to head to the burke range, muncaster basin but maybe that will be another time, just like you and Luc.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostTue Sep 23, 2008 4:33 pm 
Nice photos! Love the Martins Lake area. We had two bears keeping us company there on our rest day after going cross country towards Muncaster. We only got a little past Mt Taylor. Next time we'll come from Muncaster and link the route over to Martin's Park. Paul(&Kate)

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Sep 23, 2008 8:48 pm 
trailhead: will you be posting your own TR? hope so! possibly different photos from everyone else!