Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snowshoeing the Rattlesnake Mountain Traverse in a Blizzard*
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 9:45 pm 
*ok, not really a blizzard, but it did snow hard at times* Dates: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 Crew: Zeus Daddy, yukon222, Schmidt Alti-Babe, Schmidt Alti-Dude Summits: Rattlesnake Mountain, ~3500’ Route: Rattlesnake Mountain Trail - Entered at Snoqualmie Point (north end) and exited at Rattlesnake Lake (south end) Hiking Stats: ~10.5 miles, 3159 feet gained, 3412 feet descended , 7:00 exactly Our hiking goal kept moving as the year went on. At first we just wanted to hike more than last year, 71 days. When we surpassed that goal on the first day of September, we decided that 91 days (roughly one fourth of a year) was a worthy goal. Then we passed that in mid-November so we decided to shoot for 100 dizzy.gif . Thus, we came to New Year’s Eve day, one hiking day short of our goal. The original plan was to snowshoe up to Green Mountain. Unfortunately, about a mile past the Mailbox Peak parking area on the Middle Fork Snoqualmie road a couple of idiots had parked their rigs and then set up their tents in the middle of the freaking road mad.gif ! We backed up and found a spot to turn around but now we had to decide on another destination. Mailbox didn’t thrill us, neither did the Granite Lakes, then yukon suggested the Rattlesnake Mountain traverse so we drove over and parked at Snoqualmie Point. We started out about 9AM under iron grey skies that promised precipitation. It snowed on us on and off, sometimes with the wind blowing it sideways into our faces frown.gif , as we switchbacked up through the old clearcuts to Stan’s Overlook. This is where the last of the boot prints in the snow stopped and we broke fresh powder from there on out. About 2700’ we entered into the taller trees where it was a relief to be protected from the wind. The temp hung around 28-32 degrees all day but it seemed much colder in the windy, exposed spots. None of us had ever done this trail before and we had no map, but we were able to guess where the trail was fairly easily. It crisscrosses some old forestry roads and there are S turn gates at each junction to keep the mountain bikes and other vehicles off the trail (but they are also harder to navigate in snowshoes doh.gif ). We made it to Grand Prospect lookout about noon and decided to push on for the summit. After a brief detour to Windy Landing along the way (there was a sign so we followed it) we made it to the summit at 1:00 and stopped for a quick lunch beneath the radio towers. After lunch, it was all downhill (sort of – the grade is so gentle in places you can’t tell if you are going downhill or uphill) to the Rattlesnake Ledges. Of course, we didn’t see a single other soul until the first ledge where we met a nice couple who took our picture. Zeus Daddy called J-Lyk so she could meet us at the trailhead since she thought we were on Green, and we crunched our way down the hard packed snow to Rattlesnake Lake. Everyone we passed gave us curious looks because of the snowshoes huh.gif and one couple at the parking lot asked us it they really needed them to go to the ledge – we should have told them yes but we were nice naughty.gif . For being a “minor” summit, Rattlesnake Mountain turned out to be a fun day and a worthy adventure for #100!

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 9:45 pm 
We had plans to get up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road past the Mailbox TH but were blocked by two truck and two tents set up in the middle of the road 1/2 mile later. It looked like they had tried to drive down the road the previous night, couldn't go any farther and then proceeded to block the entire road with their tents & trucks. huh.gif 12" deep snow on the road made it a bit interesting during my 8 pt truck turnaround with the river on one side and ditch on the other. While heading back to North Bend, we tossed out several alternate destinations before deciding on the Rattlesnake Traverse. None of us had done it before and nor did we have any maps. But I had done part of the traverse from each end in the summer a few years earlier, so we figured it couldn't be too hard to follow the trail. Only a couple of spots where the trail corridor thru the trees was indistinct. Really enjoyed the traverse but would have been even better with some/any views of the valley and surrounding ridges.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 10:17 pm 
Sounds like 'Dude broke out the New Year's cocktails a little early - or was he just extra talkative that day?? lol.gif Congratulations on #100 and yet another amusing report!

zeusdaddy

zeusdaddy
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 10:19 pm 
maps, maps, maps
The whole route:
rattlesnakemountain
rattlesnakemountain
We had a slight detour... whose idea was that tongue.gif
rattlesnakemountaindetour
rattlesnakemountaindetour

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 pm 
congrats on your 100th hike

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 10:33 pm 
for use on nwhikers thread
for use on nwhikers thread
I was sorry to miss this adventure, it looks... well... long, and... um... cold.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 11:20 pm 
Ya know you guys could invite other locals when you make eastern ventures........ moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 11:23 pm 
Hey, thanks for breaking trail! We're headed there tomorrow. up.gif hockeygrin.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 11:51 pm 
Opus wrote:
Hey, thanks for breaking trail! We're headed there tomorrow. up.gif hockeygrin.gif
Bring your snowshoes and your trail clearing muscles, it's been snowing on and off in North Bend since New Years Eve.

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostSat Jan 03, 2009 12:37 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ya know you guys could invite other locals when you make eastern ventures........ moon.gif
Didn't know you were interested, BPJ. Sorry! Of course you'd be welcome. wink.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSat Jan 03, 2009 9:56 am 
Congrats on your 100th hike! HAHA - those trucks make me laugh! Reminds me of a certain tent we passed on the Hinman/La Bohn trip. lol.gif up.gif I had been considering the traverse as something to do during these high avy times...I'll add it to the list.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Jan 03, 2009 3:23 pm 
I thought I was doing good at 50, look out! You guys rock! I hope to meet you someday on the trail. Congrads!

Nordic

Nordic
PostSat Jan 03, 2009 6:45 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Everyone we passed gave us curious looks because of the snowshoes
I was one of those people (a guy in a green jacket, with a Rottweiler and a Rottweiler mix) that you passed on the way down from the ledge, but after a while I figured that such "Pros" as you guys had to do more than just a quick trip to the ledge to warrant the snowshoes.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Jan 03, 2009 9:32 pm 
Your trip report, video and photos were inspiring! Rattlesnake was crawling with with nwhikers today! We enjoyed following in your footsteps! PS Thanks for the video...since I didn't bother taking my camera out at all!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
solohiker

solohiker
PostSun Jan 04, 2009 1:08 am 
I was one of those "crawling" NWHikers, along that path today, inspired by this report and glad to know I wouldn't have to break trail while giving Tika a a day in the snow. I think there was significant new snow there since New Year's eve, at least in the lower section near the parking lot. The snow on the trees looked fresh and created a beautiful canopy, wish I had brought a camera along.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone