Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hart's Pass Road 6/5/09-6/14 update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 4:02 pm 
I drove/ran/walked part of Hart's Pass Road this AM to check out conditions and take a few pics along the way. The FS has been logging out down trees and hazardous standing trees and I passed the crew just inside the gate above Ballard Campground. I drove to the wide area 3/4 mile before Dead Horse Point and started a slow run/walk from there to Layout Camp 4.5 miles above my start point. The road is in decent condition although no grading, rock or tree clearing has been done. If you drive be prepared for a lot of rocks and washboard as well as dodging some limbs and logs. Dead Horse Point has no slides and the views as always are excellent. eek.gif clown.gif
West Fork Methow over Rattlesnake Cr
West Fork Methow over Rattlesnake Cr
Rattlesnake Cr in gorge
Rattlesnake Cr in gorge
I approached the mineral lick above DHP carefully and was not disappointed as 7 goats were there including one kid.
Nanny-Kid 1
Nanny-Kid 1
Nanny-Kid 2
Nanny-Kid 2
Nanny-Kid 3
Nanny-Kid 3
Nanny-Kid 4
Nanny-Kid 4
Kid close up
Kid close up
Long stare
Long stare
Reassurance?
Reassurance?
Nanny & Kid evaluating
Nanny & Kid evaluating
Goat over lick
Goat over lick
Nanny & Kid running
Nanny & Kid running
Nanny & Kid exiting
Nanny & Kid exiting
There is some old 2003 burn area around Rattlesnake Cr in the next half mile and as a result there are a few views of Rattlesnake Cr below.
Rattlesnake Cr in burn area
Rattlesnake Cr in burn area
There are many small runoff creeks and spring flowers. Here is one obligatory flower pic.
Obligatory Flower
Obligatory Flower
I saw lots of mule deer on the open slope areas but did not bother with pics. At the Layout Camp I found the first substantial slide and blow down over the road.
Road blocked to cars
Road blocked to cars
On the slope above the seasonal stream and falls are active.
Layout Camp seasonal falls
Layout Camp seasonal falls
Layout Camp lower stream
Layout Camp lower stream
It is still 3 miles from here to the Ranger station but the snow covered peaks are now in view.
Appraoching Hart's Pass
Appraoching Hart's Pass
As I turned to return I noticed the side road at Layout Camp was occupied by a camper who was just getting up so I went down to talk. I noted bikes on the back of his Subie and was able to give him info about the road above the block since my neighbor had carried a bike over three slide areas last week and was able to get to within 1 mile of the ranger station. With the hot week I'm sure one can get even farther now. The trip down was much faster hockeygrin.gif up.gif but I did slow for the lick and was rewarded with this pic.
Sunlit Mountain Goat
Sunlit Mountain Goat
Then non stop to the car. Only traffic I saw was on the last 200 yards to my car when I met two motorcycles heading up. I would expect the yearly grading is not far in the future as the snow on the road is going fast. You can currently drive 9 miles from where the asphalt ends just over the Lost River and there are multiple camping and hiking opportunities along the way if you do not mind the rough road. The traffic is minimal. up.gif smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 5:04 pm 
Had a PM about the exact location of the mineral lick where I see the "goatsies". When you exit Dead Horse Point about 200 -250 yards past the sign the lick is right next to the road on the downhill side. If you are driving up you may not see it or any goats unless you crowd the outside part of the road and look down over the edge. It helps to be there early as more activity then. With heavy road traffic they disappear. The most I've seen at once is 14 goats. The mule deer use it too but not at the same time.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 5:09 pm 
Well you probably will not have to worry about seeing them after this fall huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 5:26 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Well you probably will not have to worry about seeing them after this fall huh.gif
confused.gif

Nuhights

Nuhights
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 6:28 pm 
BL, Is it safe to say that the W. Fork Methow trail might be melted out to the PCT jct.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm 
Yes. You hit PCT at 4280 feet and no snow below 5200 feet to 5600 feet depending on the area.

Nuhights

Nuhights
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 7:02 pm 
Thanks a bunch!!!

Fedor

Fedor
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 8:09 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
confused.gif
Hunting season?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 8:12 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
...unless you crowd the outside part of the road and look down over the edge...
This is just me pulling a wild guess out of my ass - but I don't think many people do that. (I mean crowd the outside part of the road at Deadhorse Point and look down over the edge)

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 9:47 pm 
Not at DHP and not quite as scary. hockeygrin.gif If the concern is about hunting season, this lick is no secret. Everyone in the valley knows about it and the goats are considered a wonderful asset of the valley. Nobody hunts them, people just go up and hope they are lucky enough to see them. Mule deer, that's different.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 pm 
the kid is darling but the coat of the nanny sure looks shabby biggrin.gif time for a trip to REI. i suffered big time on my first 'trail' run in portland. the terrain you ran on looks pretty rough. great job, doc up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jun 05, 2009 9:56 pm 
Yeah, the adults all look pretty grungy with half winter coats and shedding. shakehead.gif That was a 2000 foot climb in 4.5 miles. Fairly tough running.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 12:35 pm 
Love the goat pics! Awesome!

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 4:15 pm 
Its funny, we went up on Tuesday and took some of the same pictures as you did. Yours:
Ours:
Waterfall
Waterfall
Slide2
Slide2
We drove up to the slide and walked about a mile further up where we hit another smaller slide. I think we could have made it to the pass but we ran out of time. We saw the goats also. There was also a mule deer checking out the goats. On the way out, we saw a bear down by the creek just above the licks. We did not get any good pictures of it because it was down in the heavy shrubbery. Heres a few pictures we took.
Goat2
Goat2
Goat4
Goat4
Goat3
Goat3
Slide
Slide
Mule Deer
Mule Deer
Yellow Flower
Yellow Flower
White Flower
White Flower
Glacier Lilly
Glacier Lilly
Heres a lousy picture of the bear:
Bear
Bear

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostSat Jun 06, 2009 4:27 pm 
Ripple, I did not mention it because I did not get a picture but I very briefly saw a bear in about that same area on my way up. It was grubbing around close to Rattlesnake Creek and moved into heavy brush about 3 seconds after I saw it. I've seen a big cinnamon colored black bear in that area last year also, may be the same one.