Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > REQUIRED!! Map for all motor vehicle use...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 4:33 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
...they have quite a bit of information shown for the minor roads too. Which is good news. That Ranger District has also decided (it is part of the national rule that each local district can allow dispersed camping or not) to allow travel up to 300' from the road centerline for camping. So a lot of the short small paths created by people trying to get their vehicle 50' or 100' off a busy forest road should be legal in this District. up.gif
From what I understand, the MBSNF is not going back and developing an updated Travel Mgmt plan this year, so since the MBSNF currently allows dispersed camping, then those spur roads should be on the map. They are not changing policy, just developing maps showing their current policy re: roads.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 5:51 pm 
i suspect this is going to blow in the long run. all the nifty little, just fine spurs for exploration and camping may be endangered.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 6:34 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
i suspect this is going to blow in the long run. all the nifty little, just fine spurs for exploration and camping may be endangered.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 6:47 pm 
ditto.gif About the only enforcement I am in favor of is that if you get stuck you should be required to remove it at your own expense and if you don't pay the full cost for the gov. to do so.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sten

sten
PostFri Jun 12, 2009 6:59 pm 
<I was in a bitchy mood, no need to take it out here>

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 6:24 am 
Heres a link to the Okanogan/Wenatchee NF travel plan maps: Maps On my travels around the Methow Valley area this spring, I have noticed that most of the spur roads along the FS roads have ribbons on them. I assume that the FS is doing this so they know which roads have been inventoried.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 7:42 pm 
Think Sluggy is right about the rampant paranoia taking hold. This tidbit seems to indicate this is just the adoption of a new method of denoting roads / trails open to motor vehicles:
Quote:
The MVUM will show roads and trails open to motorized vehicles, and what type of motor vehicles the public can use on each one. Roads and trails not shown on the map are closed to motor vehicle use. The Rule does not apply to snowmobiles. The map will not make any new changes in road, trail, or area closures to motor vehicle use on the MBS.
</panic> rolleyes.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Jun 13, 2009 8:52 pm 
While the FS may not be closing existing NUMBERED roads and trails with this particular policy, I doubt their new MVUM map will be showing the numerous UN-NUMBERED roads and trails. How can they? There isn't a road number for an unofficial road - that is why it is unofficial. So it certainly can't appear on the map. The numerous little way trails/spur roads created over the years by campers/hunters/etc will become illegal.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 9:04 am 
Unless they do the 300-foot-from-centerline thing, in which case at least shorter ones will still be in play.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 14, 2009 1:09 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
The numerous little way trails/spur roads created over the years by campers/hunters/etc will become illegal.
Look at any of the maps in the Wenatchee NF in the link above, they specifically mark HUNDREDS of dispersed campsites along those un-numbered spur roads.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Think Sluggy is right about the rampant paranoia taking hold. This tidbit seems to indicate this is just the adoption of a new method of denoting roads / trails open to motor vehicles:
Quote:
The MVUM will show roads and trails open to motorized vehicles, and what type of motor vehicles the public can use on each one. Roads and trails not shown on the map are closed to motor vehicle use. The Rule does not apply to snowmobiles. The map will not make any new changes in road, trail, or area closures to motor vehicle use on the MBS.
</panic> rolleyes.gif
You know Sluggy might be right, but why have to worry every time you try to go off the main road you are going to be ticketed? I try to abide by the rules and it's getting to where you have to take a rules book every time you go outdoors. We have an inch thick book on fishing, another on hunting, now one on camping. I'm sick of all the rules! Why does our state (WA) have to be the poster child for stupidity in the FS? The FS can't enforce the ones that are already on the books, how are they going to enforce this? They won't, but it's the people that do care that will be the losers. More camping will be closed off. More side roads will go away. Why not do away with the FS all together, I'm sure they could save a gazillion dollars and just let us manage it. If a road gets washed out we'll fix it. If people want too it will get done, if not then it's not worth saving. Make a fund for private citizens to draw from. Say $500 million. I bet a hell of a lot more use could be done with that than what they are doing now. That's my rant I'm none....... hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles