Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pass between Overcoat Peak and Chimney Rock
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 4:38 pm 
I am particularly looking at the pass east of Overcoat Peak and North of Chimney Rock. The USGS map shows two closed contours of 6640+ feet. I am interested to know how difficult this pass is to attain from the Chimney Rock Glacier to the Overcoat Glacier. Beckey talks about a traverse possibility from pass 6140 and going south to Overcoat, but he does not speak about the possibility of the pass traversing around the east and north sides of the North Peak Chimney Rock. Is this pass doable from the Chimney Rock Glacier to the Overcoat Glacier? Are there any climbers paths in there?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 6:58 pm 
Stefan...When MtnMike and I climbed Overcoat we looked at that area closely. There is no trouble from Overcoat Glacier as it is lowangled up to the pass. I looked at photos taken from the summit of Lemah and the area of the pass is not in the photo but the angles look good from Chimney Rock Glacier. I can show you the photos sometime.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 2:58 am 
Hey there guys...I've been laying low for a bit, nursing a leg injury for the last three weeks. No broken bones, just some radical reworking of soft tissue in my calf. wink.gif I'm hoping to be doing a similar traverse this summer. The section I'm most interested in is from pass 6140 (just west of Summit Chief) to the east flanks of Summit Chief. Any thoughts from those that have been there regarding ways I might approach this task? Man, those contours are tight...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 7:32 am 
Well, Im going to (others are interested too) a trip up to Ice Berg and then over to Overcoat lake from the Dutch Miller Gap trail head this summer. I'd like to drop down from Overcoat to the Dutch Miller Gap area and then take the trail out. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 3:24 pm 
Yup. Worst case, we take the easy route down the west face of Summit Chief...though I'd much prefer a short hairy stretch of up and over with the leisurely descent on the east slopes to the Dutch Miller Gap. The views to the east would be well worth the effort.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 5:33 pm 
Getting to Iceberg Lake from the Hardscrabble MFK trailhead looks like a worthy project. Thrashing up to the pass on the E side of BurntBoot might be grueling, but the dropping traverse into the I-Berg cirque should be a treat. Here is a view of the last part of that.........
Iberg
Iberg

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 6:58 pm 
I was at Ice Berg last summer. We'd be coming from the north east, whereas I came from Chikamin. I look forward to the challenge. I spoken with and gotten directions up from the Dutch Miller trail head from a guy who has been there three times. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln