Forum Index > Trail Talk > Matterhorn and Eagle Cap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Mar 15, 2004 8:21 pm 
Has anybody here climbed either one of these in the Eagle Cap area? If so, any recommendations on routes?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Mar 15, 2004 9:40 pm 
Eagle Cap has a major trail to the top from Horton Pass. I dropped off it down the ridge a bit and straight to Glacier Lake.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 7:08 am 
You can do Eagle Cap from the Tin Pan TH (20 miles south from Lostine) via a trail that will take you right to the top.See this thread Great hike, 20 miles as a day hike or you can backpack in and camp at Mirror Lake and do it the following day.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 8:11 am 
CascadeHiker, I found a pictoral trip report somewhere on Sacajawea and Matterhorn too. There was no description for the trip though - just pictures. Looks like a very nice hike. I'll have to get some more details on trailhead, camping, miles... I ordered what looks like a good hikiing book on the Eagle Cap area so hopefully, by July I'll get it all figured out. Thanks for the info on Eagle Cap. Sounds like one to add to my schedule for the summer.

Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 10:54 am 
I went up Eagle Cap from the Glacier Lake side and it wasn't too bad, but there was a spot or two that were a bit dangerous up near the ridge that leads to the summit. I would definitely recommend going up the established trail to the top as it is much safer. Note: There is not an established trail that goes up from Glacier Lake; you just have to pick your own route.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 9:59 pm 
Spotly: In the back of the book you bought (if its the Eagle Cap Wilderness one put out by Falcon books), is a description of the Thorp Creek route up the backside of Sacajawea. It is a neat route and it is possible to connect via the ridge over to the Matterhorn from Sacajawea but only under good conditions as it can get a little sketchy. See this thread Another route up the Matterhorn is from Ice Lake, outlined in your book. Have fun when you do these, it is certainly a terrific area. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 11:27 pm 
CascadeHiker, Thanks for the pointers. I was planning on making it a 3 day thing but if it's only 15 miles RT I might just do it on a weekend trip and save a vacation day. I found this link with some impressive shots. Can you tell which of the routes you mentioned are in these images? Sacajawea and Matterhorn

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 6:17 am 
Spotly: That is the Thorp Creek route, accessed via Hurricane Creek out of Joseph. They did the traverse over to the Matterhorn, something that is left on my tick list (I'd love to do Sacajawea again but include the traverse by allowing enough time) Great hike / climb combo, nothing above class 3, mainly class 2. There is plenty of camping spots available in the meadow area shown in their pics (great set of pics BTW) agree.gif Summitpost.com has some great info on Sacajawea Peak and Eagle Cap along with my trip reports posted there (Eagle Cap ) and (Sacajawea) Summitpost.com is easy to join and is an outstanding source of mountain information.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 8:29 am 
Eagle Cap hike
If you want bring a fishing pole, there's good fishing in the lakes.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 7:32 pm 
CascadeHiker: I read your trip reports. What an achievement. Lead Dog: That's good to know. I can use that as bait to get one or two of my friends to go too agree.gif I might still wind up climbing the big hill alone but at least I'd have help carrying the gear in.