Forum Index > Trail Talk > Recommended Hikes, Oregon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
osprey01

osprey01
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 6:10 am 
Need help: Best 5-6 day hike in the Three Sisters Wilderness area (Oregon) or anywhere else in Oregon? July time frame.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 10:57 am 
There is a series of trails that can be linked together to make a nice 55 mile loop around all three of the Three Sisters that you could make five days out of. You could even add a day and throw in the beautiful South Sister summit hike.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
OR Native

OR Native
PostTue Mar 16, 2004 2:25 pm 
Definitely do the South Sister! It is gorgeous and in early July there will most likely still be lots of snow up on it.

liembo

liembo
PostWed Mar 17, 2004 2:02 pm 
The Wallowas
My favorite place in the whole PNW, I just wish it wasn't an 8 hour drive away.. Lots of approches: * Imnaha River - drier approach (I heard its been made worse by a fire), nice rounded valley as your approach hawkin's pass which drops you Upper and Lower Frazier Lakes, with either a saunter out to Wallowa Lake, or up to Glacier Lake/Eagle Cap and a drop in to the lake basin.. * Hurricane Creek - scenic approach with the Matterhorn looming and nice marshy valleys, right up to the lakes basin and Mirror Lake. Good camping around Moccasin Lake... You can head out any number of ways, Horton Pass to Minam Lake/Lostine, Wallowa River to Wallowa Lake, our the south side. * Lostine River - Much shorter hike in, the road goes in pretty far, takes you to either Minam Lake/Horton Pass, or East Fork to the Lake Basin. Amazing fishing along this creek, so clear you can just see them sitting there. I haven't done many hikes on the southern side of Eagle Cap, unfortunately. The main problem with a hike in the Wallowas is getting someone to move your cars from one trailhead to another. Its no fun to go out the way you came in, but I found that some outfitters in the area will do this for you for a fee, which I'm not sure what that is exactly. Incredible fishing for eastern brook trout in almost all alpine lakes. A friend and i caught over 60 each in an hour on lower Frazier Lake with size 0 rooster tails (barbless). Mosquitos can be bad at the peak of summer, they weren't bad in July; horrid in August. Lots of horse traffic, scout troops in August. Dress for any weather, we've run into snow in July and late August before... - liem

The Guy From Bend

The Guy From Bend
PostFri Mar 19, 2004 3:24 pm 
Ahh. One from my home range! If you're looking for days hikes, then here are a few for you. The obvious: Green Lakes via Fall Creek. The most crowded trail in the area, but the lakes are worth it. Could also add Moraine Lake as a side trip. South Sister climb. Pretty easy climb to the top from Devils Lake (except for the scree at the top!). Scott Camp/Obsidian Falls Loop. On the west side, start at Frog Campground on the McKenzie Pass Hwy. Beautiful meadows and obsidian fields. Black Crater. Great views of the Sisters and north to Mt. Adams on a good day. The not-so-obvious: Golden Lakes. On the east side via the Park Meadow trail. Head south off of the trail between Green Lakes and Park Meadow. There is also a ton of easy open meadow walking along the base of Broken Top's north face from there. Soap Creek. East side from Pole Creek. Intercept Soap Creek and follow climber's trail up to gorgeous meadows under the east face of N. Sister. Green Lakes via Fall Creek (east side of creek). Follows the original trail to Green Lakes. Passes Corral Lake. More open than west side of creek. These are a few. I've got plenty more if you need 'em! You could also buy 100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades by Sullivan.