Forum Index > Trail Talk > 13 Mile Trail, south of Republic
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Mar 22, 2004 6:58 pm 
Anyone been on it, and if so, what do you know? It is unlikely I'll find a ride back to my starting point in order to do a through hike, so which side of the trail is best - starting west from the San Poil Rv, or from east, Hall Cr? Anyone know the condition of Hall Cr Road at the point near the cusp of Maps 116 and 102 of the Gazetteer where the 13 Mile trail pops out? I've been in there a little, but only to Edds Mtn. TH. I plan to call the ranger station for details, but sometimes their information isn't exactly right.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostMon Mar 22, 2004 7:43 pm 
Haven't been on it, but here's an old Forest Service description of the Thirteenmile Trail #23 from the TRIS database: -- The lower trail winds through rock cliffs in the Sanpoil River Canyon and is accessible in spring. Trail is closed to hunting and fishing. The higher trail passes through a variety of timber types, including ponderosa pine with lupine ground cover. There are many vistas along the way. Side trips to Fire Mountain and Thirteenmile Mountain provide spectacular views. The lower portion of the trail winds through massive rock cliffs of the river canyon. -- Here's what I gleaned working on CNF trails for the forthcoming WTA database: The trail begins at 48/28/54N, 118/43/43W (NAD27) at 2030 ft elev. Max. elev. 5160 ft. Trail begins on at the Thirteenmile Trailhead on SR 21 and ends at FR2054-600. Two other trailheads, Cougar and Bear Pot, accesses the trail about 8.8 miles. USGS quads are Thirteenmile Ck, Bear Mt, Edds Mt, and Seventeenmile Mt. Directions: (1) Thirteen Mile Trailhead (western terminus): from Republic take State Route 21 south about 12 miles along the San Poil River. Trailhead is just inside the Colville Indian Reservation border. Campsites, toilets, horse facilities, parking. (2) Cougar Trailhead: from Republic travel 6.5 miles east on State Route 20, turn right (south) onto Hall Creek Road (Ferry County Road #99) and continue 1.7 miles. Turn right (south) onto Ferry County Road #233 (Refrigerator Canyon). Travel 2.1 miles and turn left onto FS Road #2053, travel 1.6 miles and turn right onto FS Road #2054 and continue 5.4 miles to the trailhead. (3) Bear Pot Trailhead: from Republic travel 6.5 miles east on State Route 20, turn right (south) onto Hall Creek Road (Ferry County Road #99) and continue 1.7 miles. Turn right (south) onto Ferry County Road #233 (Refrigerator Canyon). Travel 2.1 miles and turn left onto FS Road #2053, travel 1.6 miles and turn right onto FS Road #2054, travel .5 mile and turn left onto FS Road #2055, then continue 3.2 miles to the trailhead. Campsites, parking. A short 0.4 mile connector trail leads to the Thirteenmile Trail #23. (4) Eastern terminus: from Republic travel 6.5 miles east on State Route 20, turn right onto Hall Creek Road (Ferry County Road #99) and travel 5.3 miles. Road becomes Forest Service Road #2054 along the way. Bear left (east) onto FS Road #2054-600, and follow for 4.9 miles to the trail.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Mar 23, 2004 1:07 pm 
Thanks Mr. Baldwin: I hadn't investigated my trip enough to know other trailhead locations than those two I read about in the hiking book I have. I had a dream I got attacked by a large cat out there. Now I'm all hinked out about going alone. I suppose that's not a good preface for an invitation for anyone to join me ("hey, anyone want to die along with me?") - so if I do ask someone, I won't mention the dream. On the other hand, I'll probably dream about something really funny tonight and forget all about last nights dream.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Mar 23, 2004 2:58 pm 
Hey, how long is that trail?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Mar 23, 2004 3:11 pm 
'bout 16 miles.