Forum Index > Trail Talk > colockum pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 12:06 pm 
Anyone been over this road? My atlas shows it but not its road number.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 1:16 pm 
30 years ago, more for the 4 wheeler group. Forested, no views that I can remember and without spectacular trees. Can't remember anything about wildlife though

salish

salish
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 1:39 pm 
PB, I was there last year, in mid November, to hunt chukar. I came in from the Kittitas side and wound up through Colockum Pass and then SE along jeep roads to hunt the steep canyons between Brushy Creek and the Skookumchuck drainage. We ended up in an area where the Colockum and Quilomene WA's merge. I am not sure if I recall exactly what the Colockum Pass area looked like, but the plateau areas just south of the pass afforded stunning views of just about everything, including Mt. Rainier and Pahto. The canyons were nearly vertical and what we later termed "extreme " chukar hunting. This area is very popular with elk hunters as there is a sizable herd there. The road was not good, but not horrible, either. I had to put my 4x4 Dodge 3/4 truck (with camper) into four wheel drive, and the ruts were so bad you might worry that your fillings will come loose. I probably wouldn't take my wife's Subaru wagon up there, but my buddy did just fine in his 2x4 Ford pickup. It's not a true jeep road. I wouldn't drive it with snow, though. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 1:41 pm 
In spring its mud is slick-as-snot. The roadbed is off cambre in the most inconvenient places. Its likely under snow until sometime mid-to-late May-ish, then personally, I would wait til it dries out before venturing up there, but that's because I'm a total wuss (Well, I've been stuck in the mud before; silty, clay-ey Texas mud. For 3 or 4 days, my rig was stuck in that mud. Had to winch it out). I've been on it only once about 6-7 years ago (I'm out of Texas mud and back on Colockum here), but I believe Mr. Bauer did something back there last spring (big surprise).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 1:49 pm 
Sounds like it's not recommended for a Honda Civic?

salish

salish
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 4:41 pm 
[quote="Quark"] The roadbed is off cambre in the most inconvenient places. Good point - exactly why I said I wouldn't hit it in snow. If you slide, you could slide into the next zip code. I hadn't thought about gumbo. PB - IMHO, I think a civic would bottom out early on, at least coming from Kittitas. There are some real bouldery areas with chuckholes while you're still at low elevation coming out of the Kittitas Valley.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
anon23bf

anon23bf
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 4:50 pm 
It's "not recommended for passenger cars," according to a few maps and a sign near the northern end. It disappears under snow in winter, and I'd guess it's still impassable to regular vehicles. I did see some "passenger cars" when hiking there in July last year, but they risked flat tires and scraped bottoms.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 4:55 pm 
An easy drive in the Subaru when it's dry, late summer or early fall, but there's a lot of uncomfortable road between Wenatchee and Ellensburg. I know you take that Civic some pretty wild places, but I don't think you should include Colockum Pass. I think you could make it, but you'd be worrying about clearance so much of the time that I don't think you'd enjoy it. The payoff isn't worth the grief. You can get most of the same views going over Table Mountain.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!