Forum Index > Food & Grub > Homemade Power Bars?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostThu Nov 12, 2009 9:48 am 
I did do search but I don't see a thread on this already?? I'm curious if anyone makes their own 'power' trail bar. Not sure if it's cheaper or even healthier, but this one below is definitely tasty, incredibly easy (no cooking, mixing is easy in a plastic bag), and I think will work great for energy in place of a bar. It's a peanut butter candy ball basically but reminded me of energy bars. Since I store and eat them straight out of the freezer, delicious and chewy, I think they'll be great skiing. May not work in summer though. What are some things to add to this one, or do you have any other bar recipes? I'm interested in trying the recipes using egg whites and cooked in the oven (although much more work). Any good recipes and tips? 1 c. peanut butter 1 c. dry milk powder 1/2 to 3/4 c. honey (I think less OK, or use molasses which has iron. Would add a definite molasses taste though). 1 tsp. vanilla (I used vanilla powder) 1/2 c. carob powder (this is kind of expensive. Not sure I like taste. Maybe cocoa instead or don't use). 1 c. granola, rolled oats or puffed cereal (love this. Adds chewy taste. Could add steel cut oats?) 1/4 c. nuts, chopped (or seeds) Coconut (no sugar added. Just for coating outside). Wheat germ (lots of vitamins added) Sesame seeds 1 to 2 tbsp. water (if mixture is too crumbly) Flax seeds? Combine peanut butter, milk powder, honey and vanilla in a plastic bag. Squeeze plastic bag until ingredients are well blended. Add carob powder for fudgy. Add granola or oats for chewy. For crunchy, add puffed cereal. Shape into balls or a log. Roll in coconut, wheat germ or sesame seeds or a combination of all three. Place on plate, place in freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 pm 
oh YUM !!! Meander this is a recipe that I will try too. I've been making little snack balls to bring to work, or snack on late at night. My recipe is a bit different, but has a similar principle. And what I get looks quite similar to the picture above smile.gif 1/2 cup pecans 1/2 cup walnuts 1/2 cup cashews 1/2 cup dates 1/2 cup figs 1/2 cup apricots 12 pieces candied ginger 2oz juice or water shredded coconut In a food processor, mix all nuts together until pulverized to dust. Then slowly add dates, figs, apricots. Throw in candied ginger, one piece at a time. Keep mixing until well blended. If the mixture is too dry, add juice, or water. Spoon mixture into little bite-sized morsels, roll in shredded coconut. Place onto wax paper, then transfer into reusable containers and into fridge until ready to eat. Makes about 30 little fruit-and-nut coconut treats. NOTE: play with the ingredients (use raisins, dried cranberries, fruitcake 'fruits') this is a very forgiving recipe. I simply blend together the dried fruit and nuts that I tend to like. Next time I will also blend in some almond butter or some tahini to vary the taste somewhat.

erik the red

erik the red
PostThu Nov 12, 2009 6:00 pm 
Those both sound wonderful! I need to eat one to work up the energy to make some of my own! dizzy.gif Thanks for sharing up.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Nov 12, 2009 6:16 pm 
Erik it takes not even 15 minutes to make smile.gif The long part is spooning the mixture into the shredded coconut. the hard part is selecting the ingredients for the current batch. just forage the bulk bins at your favourite grocery store, bring home what you like, and strike up the food processor ! the hardest part of all? resisting the temptation to eat each morsel as you create it. mmmmm !! PS Meander - you inspired me to get some cashew butter and some cocoa for my next batch.

erik the red

erik the red
PostThu Nov 12, 2009 7:30 pm 
Very kewl! smile.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Nov 12, 2009 8:05 pm 
Yum! up.gif

Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostThu Nov 12, 2009 10:55 pm 
Thanks SWR!! Thanks for the great ideas, just what I needed.. I was wondering about making it w/o peanut butter sometimes, and yours sounds healthy and tasty. You're getting some good Omega-3s with the walnuts too. I also remembered I can get almond butter bulk from the market. I forget about Almond butter, but I really like it. I like the juice idea, and the figs-I totally forgot about dried fruit for some reason. I did have to add a bit of water since it was too crumbly to ball up, which juice could work as an alternative. Thanks for the inspiration too smile.gif . I'll try this out. It is not too much work Erik! That's what is great about it. I am not a cook and that is an understatement. The 'no bake' idea helps. Gathering all the ingredients is the hard part. You'll spend some time at the bulk bins foraging and bagging them up. They keep in freezer so you could have them to grab and go. I also have been bringing a ball or two to work (no more, else I'd eat them). I put it in the freezer until I have craving for candy (usually after lunch) and eat this instead, getting protein and vitamins and a bit of fat ~ much better and sticks more. Even one ball helps, which makes me think it'll be good in my backpack for energy.

kayakbear

kayakbear
PostWed Nov 25, 2009 10:14 pm 
i got this from Time's $50 bucks a week blog. but make sure to add a teaspoon of salt. i live off this stuff while on campus for 12 hours a day. Granola Bars on $50 a Week makes 24 squares 4 cups rolled oats 1 cup whole wheat flour 1/2 cup flaxseed meal 1 tsp baking soda 1 cup honey 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 tsp (and a bit more, because who doesn’t love vanilla?) vanilla extract 1 cup raisins Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add in the honey, oil, and vanilla and stir until well-mixed. Stir in the raisins. Spoon it into a lightly oiled 9″ x 13″ baking pan. Even the mixture out, and press down firmly. (I covered it with a sheet of wax paper and rolled a glass jar over it to get it nicely packed in there.) Bake at 325 F for 20 minutes. Slice as desired, then let cool completely before removing from the pan, as they firm up a bit as they cool.