Forum Index > Trail Talk > White Rock Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 8:50 pm 
confused.gif I was wondering if anyone has any input on a route up to White Rock Lakes in the Glacier Peak Wilderness ? I have been wanting to do a photography outing up there for several years now but have never seemed to quite make it. I once hiked up to South Cascade Lake and made an off-trail journey to Woods Lake but found the going very rough with a daypack let alone a overnight pack. Another time I went up Downey Creek (The Green Monster) but the thick brush made me opt for Bench Lake instead. These trips were several years ago when I wasn`t as experienced in off-trail travel. I have been rethinking my plan of attack and am determined to make it there this year. My latest plan is to hike to South Cascade Lake, scramble up to post peak (7188`), then traverse over to peak 7340` and down to White Rock Lakes. Any input or experiences one has had concerning this area would be greatly appreciated. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
REJ

REJ
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 2:29 pm 
I am assuming that you ruled out traversing the South Cascade Glacier to its head and dropping down to the White Rocks Lakes? I done this route but it may require glacier travel procautions.

IBEX

IBEX
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 5:27 pm 
Gl Pk Here’s a route less traveled to gain White Rock Lakes from the south. While most Ptarmigan Traverse-ers use the notch east of Spire Point, I chose to pass further west. The route crosses just east of the “Marmot Head” and contours high on the flats of the Spire Glacier. Then you have to dip to 6300 feet before picking up the prominent gully that climbs back to the crest. The high traverse up and over the “German Helmet” passes back and forth from east to west; If you choose the easy way. I can’t take credit for the route finding because I just followed an ambling mountain goat over the top. She even waited patiently when I managed to fall behind. A convenient exit gully drops down the Downey Creek side; so you can swing east over the pass and then skate down the gentle snow slope to the wondrous White Rock Lakes. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 5:30 pm 
south cascade glacier route
REJ, I guess I never really considered that route although it does look like the quickest. I will probably be going solo so I guess I would have to question the glacier conditions. Seeing how I will be waiting until the lake thaws out (which will probably be late August this year) I will have to think about crevases. How long ago did you go, what time of year was it and what was the condition of the glacier ? I have done some glacier travel but am not the most experienced. Also what were the camps like around the lake ? Thanks, g p

smokeydon

smokeydon
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 5:43 pm 
Sweet picture IBEX, looks like quite a shelter there. Looks like you camped overnight, how was the going on that route with heavy overnight packs ? What class rock does it pass through ? Looks like a pretty rugged route, you were probably happy you had that goat to follow. Couldn`t ask for a better guide!! Thanks, g p

IBEX

IBEX
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 6:12 pm 
My pack was light. No tent; and I didn’t have to carry the Red Rock either. The rock had no class. Just dirt, scree and rubble. I didn’t have to use my hands; and neither did the goat. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 9:40 pm 
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, IBEX is my HHHHHEEEEERRRRRROOOOOOO! Damn, I have been wanting to take that trip for years! I even stashed food one year at the outlet of Cub/Itswoot for the trip to Bench. I figured on using the Becky route from woods to the South cascade area. Hey G.P., I've got all of August off, can I come with you on your White Rocks adventure? MAYBE we can BRIBE(tell me some personal stuff) blackmail Ibex to come with us! *Read lead the way* TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 5:46 am 
Hey backpacker joe, It is nice to hear from someone else eager to see that area. Maybe we could, Blackmail Ibex, or at least get the number of that guide he was using ! You would be more than welcome to come along on that journey. His route looks very scenic although maybe a little more technical than a route up from South Cascade Lake. What do you think ? All of August off huh, must be nice. Got any other off trail trips on you "to do" list this summer ? g p

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 4:59 pm 
biggrin.gif G.P., yes infact I do. I want to do the Boulder to Crater lake trip. I want to go Park lakes to the crest, over to glacier, chickamin ice berg and overcoat lakes in one trip too. I was going to do Beckys route from bench to woods then to south cascade. Up the glacier to white rocks. What are your plans for that trip? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 5:24 pm 
T B, I don`t think I will have quite as much time off as you. I was planning at least 4 days and maybe 5. I still haven`t really figured out my route yet although the route you are talking about sounds like it would take longer than my 4 or 5 days. I think I am leaning towards South Cascade Lake route because I would like to climb Sentinal and Old Guard while I am up there. I was thinking I might be able to make it all the way to White Rock Lakes in one day, which would leave me plenty of time to climb, explore and take pictures. Maybe it would be cool to do a one way trip, going up Downey and coming out S. Cascade. What do you think ? G P

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 5:58 pm 
We could park two cars for sure. I've heard UGLY things about that S. Cascade trail though. Brush city! Although it probably is the most direct route. I'm game. I wanted to see Bench and Woods too though. Oh well, I'll have July 21st thru Sept. first off so I'll make my way there later. We're on. TB up.gif biggrin.gif up.gif

smokeydon

smokeydon
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 6:32 pm 
South Cascade Trail
T B, I was up the South Cascade trail in Sept of 97 and it was in great shape. There was only one tricky spot at around 4700 ft where the route passed through a swampy meadow and dissappeared. After a little brush the trail was easily found again. Maybe there is somebody else out there who has done it more recently and has updated information. I don`t think you would have to pass on woods and bench lakes. In 5 days I would think we would be able to accomplish the trip. One night at each lake and we would be out in 5 ! The higher terrain in that area isn`t too bad, anyway I could stand to see Bench and Woods Lakes again. G P

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 12, 2002 9:25 pm 
G.P., "see bench and woods again", you dog. Cool to have a guide along for sure! How was woods lake? In Becky's book the photo looks bee-u-tee-ful! Well I'll trust you on the S.C.G. trail. I'm there when you are. Travel light, travel fast, that's my moto! I supose we could go in via the S.C. trail. See W.R. lakes and stop by woods too. Bench may be out of the way. Let's face it, white rocks is that main reason for the trip! South cascade looks cool too. Maybe we can checkou that research hut there too. TB biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif