Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Peak Adventure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Jul 10, 2010 9:34 pm 
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." -John Muir "Me and Pavel like to Travel Glacier Peak is not for the weak, but a trip of hard endurance As we slog through the snow, we say again "here we go" As I sweat and soak my garmets, I see I am in a land of Marmots The mice at camp come to steal in attempts to get a nice meal That night we slept quite well, and by morning I felt quite right Over the snowy pass we go, not a single blade of grass By now I feel quite tired, but at the same quite wired... for the adventure that is As we travel for hours to the top, I see around we are surrounded by rock towers We soon reach the top, and are over joyed and hop Going down was quite tiring, but atleast by camp the stove was firing The food gave me what I need, to finish the deed Getting back was quite long, but alteast nothing went wrong. I had such a blast, that I wish it had not been so fast." -Glacier Peak Adventure Who Went: Pavel and I (later two other guys we met up with) Time: 3 days : July 6, 2010 -July 8, 2010 : Tuesday -Thrusday Elevation Gain: 11,000 feet? (I read this on a trip report) Distance: 32 miles? Route: South Route/ Standard which goes up the North Sauk This was my longest adventure yet... in distance that is, but it was an awesome one! After having a fun party on the Forth of July, I was offered to climb Glacier Peak. Michael was too sun burned from Sahale to join. Before the trip, my boots were still soaked from my previous adventure, so I had to go outside and use a hair dryer to dry out my boots. embarassedlaugh.gif At 7 a.m. Pavel arives at my house to pick me up. On the way we stopped at the ranger station to investigate the route better (which was a great call, the route we had lined up possibly had a washout with river crossing). From here we still had not fully made up our mind on which route to make, but later at White Pass made the choice. On the way to the trailhead of the North Sauk Pavel buys boths of us some nice breakfast which was very generous.
Day 1: At the trailhead we put on our packs, which were quite heavy. For some reason going to White Pass did not sound like much "it's only 9 miles" I thought after traveling 1/2 a mile. After a while the pack and the heat made it more tiring, and energy draining, but we both were doing good. The North Fork Sauk River reminded me of a jungle because there were leaves a few feet across, it was hot, and very humid. At first the bushes were nicely cut, but later we had to plow through (the trail was obvious) some tall grass and such.
When we reached snow, we followed some foot prints which lead to nowhere. I decided to look around for the route, Pavel used his GPS and found the trail to our left. I decided it was time to throw on boots (to prevent my feet from getting wet), which was a good call. There were a few creek spots which you have to traverse under, but isn't that bad. We saw a few marmots and some marmot holes. At White Pass we decide to take the standard route, considering there was an easy to follow boot path.
We traverse the bottom of a mountain and get to the next pass. From here we get our first glimps of Glacier Peak. Blow was The Plug, or as Pavel says "Ze Plug". We had to go off the route by going down hill, and then up hill, but it was worth it. There was a nice place to camp with a 360 view around. I could see two marmots, one racing the other, and another on the way up. One could call this place the land of Marmots. As the sun fell behind the ridge, Pavel cooked dinner, and gave me some hot chocolate. When I burped, I told him "If you mind me, let me know" but he was polite and told me "It's a Free Country". By this time, I really felt like I was in true alpine lands. There were few people within a 10 mile radius. We had the whole spot to ourselves. Evening was also nice. Soon we went to sleep.
Day 2: We woke up some what late the next morning, the sun had already made the outside air warm. We packed up our gear, and headed down the Plug to the next pass. It was a new feeling of mountaineering, going up 1,000 feet no longer felt like much of a deal like it had in the past. We met Mark and Chris (we met them the night before) and agreed that perhaps we should be close together when traveling on glacier. Once we passed Glacier Gap, they found a nice camp sheltered from the wind. Now Glacier Peak was right in our faces, and we could see Mount Maude as well as many others. One could say this was our "relax day".
Day 3: Sleep did not come as easy this night due to the rocks under the tent, although I managed to get some sleep. Mark and Chris woke us up at 3 in the morning to get ready and climb to the summit. There was already a little morning light. I only needed my headlamp for a short time. There was some winds on the lower ridge, which forced me to layer back up from a short sleeve shirt. We decided the best route for going up would be to traverse under and around the Disappointment Peak. We roped up, and it was interesting to see we had to travel through some avalanche debris. Only a few crevasses had to be passed, from here we were below the summit. On the other team, one of the guys crampons kept falling off. "I knew I should have not brought the free crampons" said one of them. Fortunetely they got it figured out, and we were able to head on to the summit. I only recall one steep spot, which Pavel told me to low dagger it which I did so. Soon we reached the top.
I was quite excited when I reached the top, we took some photos, had some food, rested and such. I could see all the way from Mount Stuart to Eldorado Peak. But we had to get down, the sun was melting the snow, and we did not want to travel back with tons of slush. I found out on the way down there were more crevasses than I had noticed, even near by our snow prints. We saw a skier heading up solo, which we all though was a little crazy, but I suppose he was experienced. The other rope team kept cracking up jokes, which I found entertaining, I almost wish I had a recording.
We got to camp, which I was feeling quite tired. I took a nap for a while, Pavel boiled some water, and gave me some food. We packed up the tent, and said good bye to the other climbers, it was now time to head home. Heading back was harder than heading there, the sun was just making the place feel so hot. I drank plenty, applied sunscreen a lot, but it just did not seem like enough. I call this part of the traverse "the oven", even though it is snowy, it was very hot. I took off my Sun glasses for half a minute, and realize how quick sun blindness could get to you, it was just all white around. Miles and miles of slogging through the snow, but as always, regardless of the difficulty, I was still having fun.
When we reached the plug, the skier we saw passed us, although he had to stop at the top of the hill and decided to spend the night above. When we got to White Pass, I was excited, "only 9 more miles" I thought. Turns out those nine miles dragged on for a long time. Fortunately Pavel had a filter which we filtered some water for the rest of the way. Going down kept going on and on, even when we were the last few miles from the car, I was amazed at how long 1.5 miles can feel when your tired. We reached the car by 11 p.m. Pavel then drove me home. At 1 a.m. we went out to find a resturant, which most were closed. "What is this Russia?" Pavel said as we kept looking for places to eat, but fortunetely Denny's was open. After this, he dropped me off home, and off to bed I went. This was an amazing adventure, Pavel was an awesome partner, and he was very generous, I hope to go with more trips with you in the future. I would recommend this trip for anyone who likes long back pack trips, just be sure to know glacier travel, or take the Disappointment route. A classic trip! up.gif up.gif See Pavel's photos here. To see my photos in gallery mode, click here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostSat Jul 10, 2010 9:54 pm 
I like the poem. It made me read your post--I don't read many. Thanks for the description and report. I'm feeling anxious to finally climb this mountain for myself, but I have a ways to go yet.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Jul 10, 2010 10:36 pm 
Looks like you guys had a good time. up.gif up.gif Thanks for the well-written trip report and pics.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 pm 
This is a great report!!!! Pavel sounds like a good climber. Hopefully we will all group up for a climb. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif I only wish I was on it. Good luck on Rainier next week!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSat Jul 10, 2010 11:19 pm 
Cool man. cool.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostSat Jul 10, 2010 11:28 pm 
Nice TR and pictures. Looks like you had a good time in the hills,

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 12:07 am 
Beautiful pictures, Josh! IMHO, the Glacier Peak area is one of the most beautiful places in the Northwest! I'm glad the trip went well for you. Isn't it strange, when you're on your way back from a long trip, how that car seems to keep getting farther and farther away as you get closer to it? biggrin.gif

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 12:37 am 
Great stuff - loads of photos, lots of detail in the TR. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this account. Hope you enjoy many other successful outings in the future and keep posting. BTW - Pugh, Sloan, Three Fingers et. al. seem diminutive when viewed from up there, but somehow Pilchuck still dominates the skyline. Glad to see it was a success and a good time up.gif

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 7:25 am 
Well written Josh! Great set of pics. Very enjoyable TR.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 7:44 am 
Well done, both report and pics. up.gif Of course, I am jealous since we were just a few days ahead of you and got crap weather that kept us off the peak. I shall return.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 9:09 pm 
Good job Josh!!! up.gif

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 10:01 pm 
Good job Josh & Pavel! up.gif up.gif Excellent TR, Josh. And excellent photos, as usual. up.gif up.gif

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 10:37 am 
You, sir, must be an impostor! This cannot truly be a Josh Lewis trip report without some major calamity! embarassedlaugh.gif Good job on a successful summit, and trip. up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Pass-n-Thru

Pass-n-Thru
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 4:32 pm 
Those are some nice shots. I did not read the whole post yet.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm 
I have held back from posting on your reports of late, watching quietly and hoping to see something great come out of your trials & tribulations. This trip report simply could not pass by without comment. I am thrilled that you achieved an amazing summit in wonderful weather with a competent & enthusiastic partner. Your photography was also a joy to peruse, bringing Glacier Peak to life on my screen. I hope that this trip is an example of both the solid decision making and thoughtful writing we will continue to see from you in the future. Well done Josh ~Jo