Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Baldy via Upper Maynard Burn 7-10-10 Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 7:31 am 
Hoping for snow-free access to the high country, took off for the Upper Maynard Burn trail under sunny skies. One other car was at the TH when we reached it and temperatures were already balmy. Hiking in T shirt and shorts was a very welcome change from the awful conditions of so many outings so far this year, especially the heavy wind, rain, and fog I experienced summiting Mt. Baker a couple weeks ago. There are a couple ways up to Baldy from the road end, and we chose the steeper Upper Maynard Burn way trail instead of the slightly more moderate Tyler Peak way trail. From the road end, Upper Maynard Burn way trail is accessed by following the washed out logging road a few hundred yards past Mueller Creek, then hanging a right where the trail parallels the road for a few hundred feet before taking off uphill. Beware of very slippery rocks crossing Mueller Creek. Shortly past the creek crossing, the old road is very overgrown with alder saplings in need of clearing. If you're heading this way and feeling charitable, bring some loppers. The trail gains about 300 feet between switchbacks in the logging road, at which point the trail steepens in earnest. From here to where the trail peters out in meadows below the Tyler-Baldy ridge, the trail is in good shape, with the exception of clumps of one-foot diameter blowdowns at about 5100 and 5300 feet that require detouring off the trail for a ways. A nice bunch of blooming rhodies at around 4600 feet. Only one patch of snow about 10 feet wide across the trail in the trees before the trail breaks out into the open terrain of Mueller meadow. There was water running in the west fork of Meueller creek where the trail crosses it and no snow to cross all the way up to Tyler-Baldy ridge. Tyler Peak access looks snow-free as well.
Upper Maynard Burn trail at about 5800 ft
Upper Maynard Burn trail at about 5800 ft
Trail toward Tyler-Baldy ridge
Trail toward Tyler-Baldy ridge
Tyler Peak
Tyler Peak
Wild flowers were just starting to appear in Mueller meadow. My guess is there will be a lot more in a week or so. Great views from the meadows looking south.
Constance
Constance
upper Mueller meadows
upper Mueller meadows
Constance and Inner Constance from Tyler-Baldy ridge
Constance and Inner Constance from Tyler-Baldy ridge
The ridge up to the false summit (~ 6520 ft) still has some snow on it and a nice cornice, but the snow can be easily avoided both to the false summit and all the way over to the true summit.
false summit
false summit
Cornice near false summit
Cornice near false summit
Baldy from Tyler-Baldy ridge
Baldy from Tyler-Baldy ridge
One of our group was not feeling so great after the Upper Maynard Burn ascent, so I stayed at the false summit with her while the others walked over to the true summit, which I've visited plenty of times before. It was certainly pleasant to lie in the sun in T shirt and shorts at 6520 feet elevation and feel warmth even in the shade when clouds passed overhead. There's still plenty of snow on many of the peaks visible from Mount Baldy, including the north side of Constance Pass, the slopes west of Marmot Pass, and upper Royal Basin, although it does look like the route up Gray Wolf Mountain is mostly snow-free, except just before the peak.
Ridge walk toward summit
Ridge walk toward summit
Baldy from false summit
1 label
Baldy from false summit
Buckhorn
Buckhorn
North face of Inner Constance
North face of Inner Constance
Mount Deception
Mount Deception
Sequim and the Straits
Sequim and the Straits
Constance, Warrior, Alphabet Ridge
4 labels
Constance, Warrior, Alphabet Ridge
Blue Mountain
Blue Mountain
Mount Mystery
Mount Mystery
Mt. Deception and The Needles
Mt. Deception and The Needles
Inner Constance
Inner Constance
Marmot Pass area
1 label
Marmot Pass area
Constance Pass area
1 label
Constance Pass area
Gray Wolf Mountain
Gray Wolf Mountain
Gray Wolf Mountain summit approach
Gray Wolf Mountain summit approach
All in all, it was a great day to be in the Olympics. Saw a couple of other parties during the day, but the brutal steepness of the Upper Maynard Burn trail helps keep the crowds away.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kite

kite
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 9:32 am 
thank you for the timely report had been thinking about Baldy... looks like you had a nice day

half fast

half fast
PostSun Jul 11, 2010 7:15 pm 
Great TR and wonderful photos... up.gif up.gif Looks like a very fun day in the mountains... and sounds like a good work out as well !! Thanks for sharing

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 am 
I have tomorrow off from work, so I am considering attempting Gray Wolf Ridge (7218') from Baldy. The photos on this trip report seem to indicate only one sketchy section of snow on the ridgetop en route to the Gray Wolf summit. I wonder if I can safely side-traverse that section, or hike down/up loose scree around it. I was hoping not to need bringing my ice axe, especially for such a small section, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Any advice, fellow NWHers?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 am 
Redwic wrote:
I was hoping not to need bringing my ice axe, especially for such a small section, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Any advice, fellow NWHers?
We are hoping you bring your axe and don't need to use it. I have not done this route but the snow on the ridgeline looks doable to me if its warm enough. I carried one up Mt Christie this weekend in the warm weather. Lots off soft wet snow on the N side in the hot weather. Never used the ice axe.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 pm 
I was planning to bring it, just in case of bad snow conditions on the ridgetop. Besides, the extra weight to carry will make for a better workout!

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm 
UPDATE: I did Baldy, Gray Wolf, Peak B, and Tyler Peak today. Each peak is now very doable, with no traverse issues (other than the standard loose scree and dirt in places). There is one snow-covered saddle near the summit block of Gray Wolf. I used my ice axe for that section, but it really was not necessary... the snow was a gentle angle and had a lot of runoff (in case of a fall). There are other small snow patches and ridges with cornices, but those can be avoided. Gray Wolf was my 23rd WA CoHP. Great weather & views!!

RodF

RodF
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 1:49 pm 
Ancient Ambler wrote:
Shortly past the creek crossing, the old road is very overgrown with alder saplings in need of clearing. If you're heading this way and feeling charitable, bring some loppers.
Done last week. (Actually, cleared the path along the entire decommissioned -120 spur road to the lower Maynard Burn trail junction, which drops down to Royal Creek trail. Some do use this as a shortcut to Royal, or following Wood's book, walk the old road to get to the upper Maynard Burn trail. It had gotten rather badly overgrown in the 3 years since i'd last been there!)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 pm 
Thanks Rod for the trail work and thank you AA for the trip report and pictures.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir