Forum Index > Food & Grub > Backcountry pizza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 6:42 pm 
Does anyone have a favorite recipe? I'm looking to make one in a propane heated oven at Rendezvous Hut this weekend. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 7:10 pm 
^ Yup!

yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 7:15 pm 
Packets of Boboli pizza sauce have worked well for me.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 7:15 pm 
Wilderness Pizza
Wilderness Pizza
By far the easiest way to do back county pizza i have found is Boboli pizza crusts. Asiago and smoked Cheddar seem to hold up well without refrigeration. String cheese works pretty good. I've gone the Pack-it-Gourmet route, but i seem to be unable to do so without making an enormous mess. By the way...that photo was shot @ Boulder Ford at the end of the Boulder River trail.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 8:17 pm 
We do tortillas with Ragu Pizza Quick sauce for the base. Carry the pizza sauce in ziplock freezer bags (as they don't tend to leak like the sandwich bags do) and double-bag them if you value the rest of your pack contents. For cheese, we hand-shred sticks of string cheese. String cheese is good because it travels better and keeps in better shape than pre-shredded cheese, yet it shreds down easily to a meltable form without too much trouble. Add to that pepperoni at the very least. Shorter trips can include mushrooms (don't keep well). And diced green/red/yellow peppers add a great extra kick -- doesn't take much, but the do add a whole new dimension.
Backcountry pizza assembly line (day 6 of the trip and we were still feasting)
Backcountry pizza assembly line (day 6 of the trip and we were still feasting)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 8:30 pm 
I like 240's idea, kind of a pizza/quesadilla thang.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 12, 2010 9:04 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
I've gone the Pack-it-Gourmet route, but i seem to be unable to do so without making an enormous mess.
The key for their pizza is a super slick non-stick WIDE 2L pot (a GSI Backpacker works well) and a lot of oil. You need to oil up the pot, dump in the dough, cook carefully, coat the second side in oil, flip over and start topping quickly. For the Boboli route I did this one for Wa Trails: http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/last-minute-meat-and-olive-pizzas Pizza Pan Biscuits are a cheater way to a tasty snack: http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/pizza-pan-biscuits
One thing that helps with most methods is a heat diffuser (this one taken out of an Outback Oven):

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Dec 14, 2010 8:24 pm 
Thanks for all of the great tips and suggestions everyone!

SCRUBS

SCRUBS
PostWed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 am 
That`s a gourmet pizza you have there Hulksmash up.gif Delivery or Digiorno lol.gif

11th Essential

11th Essential
PostWed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 am 
Another option for pizza crust, if you don't mind carrying a little extra weight and you are going to make your pizza early on in the trip, is the pre-made pizza dough sold by Trader Joe's. They sell them in plastic bags, regular and whole wheat. About 2/3 of the package is just right for a Backpacker's Pantry Outback oven. While the dough weighs slightly more than just the dry ingredients, it is so convenient. Just let the dough sit, roll it out, load on your toppings and sauce and bake away.... My fav is the whole wheat, makes great tasting pizza. My avatar is a picture of a beer and pizza night I had at The Brother's climber's camp. It was so worth carrying that little bit extra to have such a yummy meal. up.gif up.gif My oven; http://www.backpackerspantry.com/InventoryD.asp?loc=100&item_no=167002&category=test&subcategory=