Forum Index > Trail Talk > Selecting a bear bag location
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aestivate

aestivate
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 12:44 pm 
There have certainly been "problem bears" who have cropped up in both the Olympics (Elwha) and in North Cascades NP (thunder creek) in recent years. I n both cases it's resulted in the closure of stretches to camping for a couple of seasons. Probably other spots in those parks too, these are the most recent that I know of. Now you ask, is it merely coincidence that these both happened in national parks? Park-induced lack of fear may be a partial explanation; certainly the olympic bears seem pretty tranquil and unconcerned when one runs into them. The other explanation is that the national parks just do a better job of visitor monitoring than the USFS, which really has no idea what goes on in the backcountry it allegedly manages. State fish and wildlife people would certainly have many tales about bears in dumpsters, trash cans, dog food, bird feeders, in the "interface zone", i.e, leavenworth. It's probably nothing one should get too complacent about. Certainly when I was a kid in northern New England and the adirondacks there were no bakccountry "bear problems". There are now. Bears are adaptable. They learn. The places to be more wary are probably heavily used backcountry campsites, which are occupied frequently enough that it might pay a bear to cruise them. In more remote spots, it's very unlikely at present that bears would come after your food. Personally, I am not in the habit of hanging my food around here. But I sure as hell don't leave it in the tent with me to "guard" it. You really want to give a bear an incentive to visit you in the middle of the night? I don't . I stash it off in the woods somewere, on a branch, in a hollow somewhere, under a rock, some such. It's like the relative who crops up in one of Thurber's tales who's worried about the burglars chloroforming her at night, so she stacks her valuables outside her bedroom door with a note that says " please do not use your chloroform, as this is all I have"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 1:10 pm 
Hanging food
Marylou my point is don't spend time fretting about were, how, how far from, ect. you hang your food. All unnessary. If you want to hang your food, fine with me . But while your hanging I'll be fishing. wink.gif biggrin.gif P.S. I stillowe you that drink.gif. I haven't forgotten. shakehead.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 1:14 pm 
I don't fret about it. I just do it. You can beer me tomorrow night if you show up. headrub.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 1:24 pm 
I grew up camping in the Sierras, so I'm really catious about where the food smells are concentrated around my campsite. I cook 100 (or so) feet down wind from where I sleep. My food is stowed about 100 feet from that, in an area away from people or game trails if possible. I figure that way critters can nose around the kitchen area all they want - the food isn't there and I'm not going to be bothered. The only critter that has ever taken my food was a racoon. Hungry hikes out really bite, you tend to make good time tho - nothing like knowing your only meal is 10 miles away to motivate you to pick up your speed.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Newman

Newman
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 1:35 pm 
just hang it
just hang the bag. better safe than sorry, even if it is in washington state. don't worry too much about where to hang it (don't hang it over your tent). you might want to check this site out. i know lots of others on this board have information regarding their effectiveness, so maybe they could chime in. http://www.ursack.com/

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 2:26 pm 
Beer?
Is it at the same place as last month? Or somewhere else? I haven't kept up on the Social this month. dizzy.gif Please "Bear" with me. lol.gif Update! Update! Update! Is it still at Harvey's?

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
frankm3

frankm3
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 2:46 pm 
There really are bears around here, you know....Two bears have been destroyed over in the Suiattle River area this year so far. They were problem bears relocated from elsewhere; FWIW. There is also an active (huge) bear close to Monte Cristo, who I saw on the road last year about this time, and have heard in the woods from near the campground as well. Several other folks have also mentioned hearing something 'really huge' in the woods behind the campground too of late. Fortunately, this animal seems to be pretty good at keeping to him/ herself, for the time being. There is a possibility of encountering a bear around here. From what I have read (Backcountry Bear Basics), the distance to hang your food, and to establish a cooking area from your tentsite is 100 YARDS (100 paces give or take) downwind from your tentsite. The idea is to disassociate yourself from the odor sources of the cooking area and food storage area; 50 feet ain't enough! At the end of the day, whether or not you think you are likely to encounter a bear or not doesn't matter. It doesn't relieve the obligation to act in a responsible manner of safeguarding your food. This is most important as it relates to keeping camping sites safe for future users (who won't be paying for sins of poor housekeeping of previous campers), AND keeping the bear from getting habituated to human foods. A fed bear is a dead bear as the old saying goes! Frank

markv

markv
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 9:30 pm 
real answer
i didnt say the correct answer, just my real one. i hang far away, and i cook far away. i don't mind an extra hundred yards walk, and if a raccoon or anything is snooping around, i frankly don't want it within earshot. a nice stroll away, 100 yards at most...definitely downwind from camp. what i need a primer on is the actual hanging. mine never looks textbook...i'm sure the wildlife is hiding and giggling at me. once i couldn't get the rope down afterwards (sorry, it's still up there way off trail in Colorado probably) and once i got horrible rope burns. i shoulda been a boy scout.

Jennanik

Jennanik
PostWed Jun 30, 2004 7:10 am 
radioflyer wrote:
don't worry too much about where to hang it (don't hang it over your tent).
baaa.gif I saw a guy last weekend who had not only set up his tent *in* the trail, he hung his food about 4 feet away at eye-level against the tree trunk next to his tent. If I see him again I'll direct him to this forum. winksmile.gif

Jen
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jun 30, 2004 7:12 am 
I use an Ursack. I have for the past 3 years. Rainrunner, GoBluHiker and Hoosierdaddy also have one and love theirs. And no hanging needed unless in racoon country. I figure the Ursack is more than worth it to keep the critters out: squirrels chipmunks marmots rabbits mice birds Goats and Bears Have heard noisy critters in camp more than once at night, but no treats for them. A recent story from Colchuck Lake that had me laughing at 7 am. Rainy went and untied our Ursacks from the tree, for breakfast. I look at mine as I go to untie it...and it is COVERED in chipmunk poop. I couldn't quit laughing.....either the little guy had a massive blowout while trying to gnaw on my bag or he got mad and left me a calling card. Either way, the poop was on the outside, and my food was just fine! Having seen in person a bear that was baited with food by humans, and became an issue-I have NO nice feelings for humans that won't hang or protect their food from animals (ie. bear canister or Ursack). All it takes is 1 time of food to have a problem animal-and that one time could be you.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.