Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cripple Creek - Elbow Lake, et al - Snow Lake Plateau
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 12:16 am 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
I ususally travel light with just my shorts and full gaiters. The knees are the only parts that don't quite get covered, but for the most part that works well. Unfortunately, after 9 hours of brush bashing on the first day, they were pretty well raw.
I just bring one pair of nylon pants because I'm a cripple and can't carry much. Gaiters are nice for snow though.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Edd

Edd
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 4:46 am 
cripple creek elbow lake
I know Mike got some good shots of the lakes. I didn't really get any good shots of shamrock. Here's one anyway.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 7:26 am 
It looks to me as if someone needs to get boots that fit properly. Three days is nothing. I've been on trips where our feet were wet for over a week at a time. Over a week of hard hiking through the wettest conditions imaginable and our feet were just fine. You must have boots that fit properly and you need to make sure your feet dry out at night (do not wear wet socks to bed to dry them out and put dry socks on in camp, if you don't have camp shoes put plastic bags in your wet boots to keep your feet dry).

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 9:27 am 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Backpacker Chumley wrote:
Look, with all due respect, there is a trail all the way to those lakes. Can I see more pics please. Where the heck is Shamrock lake? Hmm. I know you guys arent Rookies.
*cough* Bolsheviks! *cough* There may be a trail to Little Derrick, and a boot path connecting Little Derrick and Derrick, but I saw little sign of well defined routes between Derrick and Horseshoe, Shamrock, and Elbow. Very faint boot paths, inundated with brush and grossly overgrown, that only appear for a few feet at a time, but naught else. Found paths around the shores of Elbow and Horseshoe...didn't see much around the outlet of Shamrock. There wasn't any real boot path past the tent site on the east side of Derrick's outlet either -- nothing heading toward the talus fields that rise to the saddle. Pics are still coming.
Sorry Michael, I meant that there is a trail all the way to Derrick. There really isnt anything (nor needed really) to the Shamrocks. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln