Forum Index > Trip Reports > Monte Cristo area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
frankm3

frankm3
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 8:03 am 
Hi everyone; Had the opportunity to pick up a last-minute USFS host gig back in Monte Cristo, so last weekend found us back there. Per Chris_NWUE's report the road has been fixed and is now passable. The work was being completed as I was headed back there last Friday afternoon. For those of you who were asking, the key is available to MCPA members, or you can rent the key from the Snohomish County Public Works Department. We arrived Friday at about 5:00 pm; during my stop at the Verlot ranger station to pick up supplies, I was informed of a bear sighting in the townsite area on Thursday of last week. I was told to pass the info along to campers to safeguard their food, etc. Much of my time back there was spent as host; answering questions, talking to visitors, and re-filling the TP in the toilet. I did have occasion to go back to Glacier basin as a sunset walk, and take a hike to a less popular destination in the area. Here are the photos....the rock is the Old Man of Monte Cristo. It is not really visible often times due to it's backdrop of similar colored rock. The cloudy weather was perfect for seeing the Old Man; I have been back there a couple dozen times and only saw it for the first time Friday. It was really neat to show it to others who had been going back there for years and never saw it either. Frank
Old Man of the Mountain at Monte Cristo
Old Man of the Mountain at Monte Cristo
Marmot #1 met along trail
Marmot #1 met along trail
Marmot #2 met along trail
Marmot #2 met along trail
young buck who came through townsite
young buck who came through townsite
scenery in Monte Cristo
scenery in Monte Cristo

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 8:10 am 
Cool shot of the Old Man. Do you ever get up into 76 Basin?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
frankm3

frankm3
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 8:31 am 
Dogpatch wrote:
Cool shot of the Old Man. Do you ever get up into 76 Basin?
Thanks! 76 Basin? I know of no such place....but as I mentioned, I did go hiking in a 'less popular destination' in the area... hockeygrin.gif I wish this weekend hadn't been such a last-minute trip; I thought of you guys while I was back there. The rainy/ cloudy weather was really unusual for this time of year it seems. It was compelling watching the peaks moving in and out of the clouds. It seemed to me to be exactly the kind of weather that we were discussing being great for the large format camera! Frank

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 8:46 am 
frankm3 wrote:
It seemed to me to be exactly the kind of weather that we were discussing being great for the large format camera!
Definitely ideal weather. Always a matter of chance if someone happens to be there with a camera. Congrats! We'll be up there soon.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 9:23 am 
Frank, you're aptly named. You're the modern-age St Francis of Assisi! My favorite is Marmot 2 - I like his teeth, and his little marmot hands are so cute. Thank you, sir!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 3:59 pm 
frankm3 wrote:
The rainy/ cloudy weather was really unusual for this time of year it seems. Frank
You haven't been living here very long Frank- it's unusual when it ISN'T rainy/cloudy over the Fourth holiday period! biggrin.gif The Old Man in the Mountain- that type of thing is like a Rorschach test. I see 4 different faces roughly stacked atop each other. Uppermost a profile with the nose facing right, then a gaggle of faces below it. I'm guessing the top face is the Old Man but can I be the only one seeing some other visages? It's freakin' me out now, that damn rock! paranoid.gif So are you signed up for future hosting assignments up there this summer?

frankm3

frankm3
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 8:45 am 
I interpret the Old Man as a head with a really rotund looking body; maybe that's not the way one is supposed to look at it, as in that case I guess it would be named "The Fat Man of Monte Cristo", or something like that. There was a tramway terminal right behind the Old Man for the Comet Mine I think. I think I am signed up for time in the cabin every month this summer, but all the dates coincide with MCPA work party weekends, time for recreating will be somewhat limited. As always, you are more than welcome to come help with some trail work. Our last work party was a LOT more fun than I ever could have imagined, we had about 12-15 folks.

frankm3

frankm3
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 8:42 am 
Here is one more of my marmot buddies that I just got around to re-sizing. Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to share it! Frank
marmot1-2
marmot1-2

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am 
Frankm3, It was good meeting you this weekend. smile.gif Thanks for coming to find us. See, we aren't all THAT bad! wink.gif Your Zoe is a sweetie. We didn't make it up to the basin... my heels just couldn't do it bawl.gif Damn boots anyway! We do have plans to do another 2 nighter with lots of exploring later this season. Maybe you'll be up there then...? My pics are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/159837765BoQnsE I agree with whoever said it above...it ALWAYS rains 4th of July weekend!! It was almost TOO hot hiking out on monday. Weird.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Jul 11, 2004 8:09 pm 
i just got back from hosting Monte Cristo all weekend, Friday was cloudy, Saturday was total rain.... Sunday was clearing. There was so many people coming in, even in the rain. Was a good trip. Ice Girl Pic. Later. Dicentra saw you entry on the register, going up to Glacier Basin.