Forum Index > Trip Reports > Manning Park to Rainy Pass on the PCT
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
alexis

alexis
PostSat Jul 10, 2004 10:05 pm 
Just got back the other day from doing 78 miles on the PCT from Manning Park down to Rainy Pass. We saw one set of footprints for about half of the trail, but didn't actually see a single person until we hit hiqhway 20 on the last day. Excellent. I figured the trail would be like a freeway by this point in the summer. I thought we were going to do it in 8 days but the guys I was with thought we could finish in 5, so that's what we did... Can't stop youth on a mission I guess. shakehead.gif It was definitely a wake up call for me- but it was still a beautiful hike and if anyone's thinking about it/ wants specifics or to see other pictures of the trail, let me know.
a little snow crossing
a little snow crossing
a set of 38 horrifying switchbacks...yes we counted.
a set of 38 horrifying switchbacks...yes we counted.
0 people at Hart's Pass on the 4th of july.  very nice.
0 people at Hart's Pass on the 4th of july. very nice.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 10, 2004 10:35 pm 
First off welcome to the site. Nice report and great pics. Next you might resize those to around 640x480. Wouldnt mind some more of that area. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Nomad

Nomad
PostSat Jul 10, 2004 10:43 pm 
I was surprised by the lack of snow in your pictures. Did you see much around Harts Pass?

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSat Jul 10, 2004 10:45 pm 
Welcome to the site Alexis. I see your throwing up the Bloods sign. I am down wit dat. Never been a fan of crabs myself. G's up, this is Loggerman, and I gasta roll down back to da crib. --------------------------------------------- Ignore me dizzy.gif --------------------------------------------- Nice pictures though, dont know about all them switch backs though, yuck.

alexis

alexis
PostSat Jul 10, 2004 10:51 pm 
There was no snow around Hart's Pass and really there were only a couple of snowy patches on the trail we had to cross. We didn't really have trouble with them and we're rookies so that's probably saying something and unfortunately it was a ghetto fab party- but I'm still a gangsta at heart.

alexis

alexis
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 12:03 am 
Yeah- I hear that road is opening back up soon, but in the meantime you could always just start out at Rainy Pass and go north to Hart's, since Cutthroat is only a couple miles away anyway.. Next time I want to spend more time in that area because we passed a bunch of great looking campsites and really just rushed it a bit much.