Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Adams, South Climb
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 2:10 pm 
I spent Saturday and Sunday climbing Mt. Adams with a coworker and her sister for their first mountain climb. The climb was relatively easy and there was no need for crampons as the number of people already up this year have made a staircase that isn't too hard to follow. The weather was perfect with the exception of a very cold and windy evening snow storm that moved in for a couple of hours on Saturday. Sunday morning brought perfectly clear skies and the 360-degree views from the summit were incredible. Of course, the glissade was the highlight of the trip as a majority of the trip back down was done sitting down. Camping at the Lunch Counter was not as crowded as I expected as there were dozens of great tent sites that remained unoccupied. Early Saturday afternoon, a girl tried to glissade from Piker's Peak while wearing crampons and quickly broke her leg. It took hours for them to lower her down to the Lunch Counter, two of which were done in the snow storm. Mountain rescue came up to help, but they had to wait out the night and carry her down the next day. We actually summited and came back down and still passed them on the trail on the way out...must have been quite uncomfortable for her. Great example of why not to wear crampons while glissading. Overall, it was a great experience and I look forward to doing it again next year.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message