Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ridgescrambler

ridgescrambler
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 6:05 pm 
wow what a great trip! Got a late start on Saturday and didn't even get to the ranger station until around 2pm to hear the radio traffic about the person who summited and had a moment of dizzy.gif and glissaded with her crampons and broke her ankle. Some ending to a summit day for her - they got her out the next day. But anyway - our group headed up in the blowing snow and wind to Lunch Counter which was in great shape and made a nice place to park for the night. Great views around midnight with clear skies and bright stars all around and the mountain was awesome as a backdoor neighbor. Headed up on around 5:30am on Sunday to a clear, sunny day - we used crampons and ice axes which made our going easy with summit around 9:30am - the views were so very awesome and the glissades down were fast and long with a few speed bumps and wild turns. Somewhere out there is my nice yellow (very warm) Titanium jacket shakehead.gif lost it on one of the glissade mishaps I had but hey I needed an excuse to go spend more money on hiking stuff. Fast pace out - passed by a snowboarder and two skiers who had passed us on the way up to the summit - they go up every weekend to snowboard and ski off the top - they were in awesome shape to say the least!! Anyway - here are a few pics!
Saturday evening - Lunch Counter - windy and blowing snow off and on
Saturday evening - Lunch Counter - windy and blowing snow off and on
The room with a great view
The room with a great view
Mount Adam's summit
Mount Adam's summit
great long glissades on the way down and out
great long glissades on the way down and out

Go to the mountains - for only there are you truly free......
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
durante

durante
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 7:44 pm 
I wish I could've been there with you guys. Our hike up Spider Glacier dwarfs in comparison to your summit but it was still tons of fun. It made me want to go further and get higher so.......please, give me a heads up with some details for your next scramble.

ridgescrambler

ridgescrambler
PostMon Jul 12, 2004 8:06 pm 
no problem Durante616 - I'll keep ya posted - it looked like ya'll had a great time and beautiful views also - I just love being outdoors! See ya on the trail or summit real soon Juanita

Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostTue Jul 13, 2004 12:07 pm 
Ridgescrambler, we met on the mountain at the bottom of the Piker's Peak glissade...you asked me if I had seen your yellow jacket. Sorry to hear that you did not find it. I'm sure you'd agree that the climbing conditions on Sunday morning were about as ideal as could ever be hoped for.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
ridgescrambler

ridgescrambler
PostTue Jul 13, 2004 7:16 pm 
BCJ well what a small world - yeah I'll probably be complaining about my jacket for awhile - but it was my fault - I know better than to glissade with stuff strapped to the outside of the pack rolleyes.gif but weren't those great glissades!! you are so correct - Sunday was absolutely awesome - what time did ya'll head up? you probably made much better time than I did - but hey what grand views - hope to see you out there again sometime smile.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jul 13, 2004 7:49 pm 
Ah, what a timely report and so nice to read it. I did that climb one year ago (on July 11th) so this report brought back some memories. I decided to test my abilities with altitude adaptation so I dayhiked it from the Cold Springs parking lot. It took me a total of 12 hours but I enjoyed every one of them except the last one where I had run out of water. The altitude didn't bother me but that cold wind at the top of Piker's Peak did. Brrrrrrrrr. (take warm clothes and something for your head) Way to go you guys. Nice to see those pics too, neat. I would loved to have had skiis on that one as I watched with envy as three guys skied off of the summit and headed for the southwest chutes. Still, the glissade from Piker's Peak to the lunch counter is an awesome one, the highlight of a climb of Adams via the south side. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
ridgescrambler

ridgescrambler
PostWed Jul 14, 2004 7:16 am 
CascadeHiker you are obviously in much better condition than I am - I couldn't even imagine doing it in one day eek.gif I was in envy of the skiers and boarders - they were having a blast! Now I struggle with hitting some higher peaks - geeze it never ends winksmile.gif but I love it!