Forum Index > Partners > that thing off NW Vancouver I.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
limpyweta

limpyweta
PostTue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 am 
hey folks. While gas will be as cheap as $4/gallon, in this country, this late spring or summer, I'm thinking of going in on the additional $600-$800 in logistics to go way up to one of the valleys southeast of Brooks Peninsula this year. Anybody wanna come with? I'll most likely be able to cover not more than 60% of it though if I can use the truck I'm thinking of. Or it could be closer to $300 if I go back to East/Klaskish Creek and I get permission and new info on where the locked gates, dynamite blasts, and logging trucks that take up the whole road and don't like to abruptly slow down are from LeMare. The Megin watershed and the Clayoquot Witness trail are other, more accessible considerations, nice forests. These valleys (Nasparti, Battle, Power) are very much like those of the western Olympics.
Randy Stoltmann wrote:
In an open grove, not far from the gently swirling water of the Nasparti River, the mammoth bell-bottomed trunk of an immense Sitka spruce rises...twenty metres around the base, nearly fourteen metres around the trunk at breast height above the estimated germination point on the log that no longer exists...Another spruce nearby is nearly twelve metres around at breast height, a third is ten metres...
There are also some awesome pics in that book, Written by the Wind, at the Seattle Public Library. more info: http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19659&whichpage=1

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 pm 
I've been fascinated with the remote and wild parts of Vancouver Island for a long time. My dad hiked the West Coast trail back in the 70s and I have always wanted to go after hearing his stories. Some day I'll get up there myself. Please post some pictures of your trip when you get back.

limpyweta

limpyweta
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm 
I guess this is one of the last calls. Anyone by slight chance at this point gonna make time for this trip from 9/5 to 9/13? I'll be planning on mainly wondering around the Nasparti valley and bushwacking to Battle Creek, maybe:http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=50.18855,-127.61684&z=13&t=T There are two water taxi options now, and I'll pay for all transportation. Getting the VHF radio this week....[excited] I'll take pics, won't scan the slides though. Thanks!

Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 12:39 pm 
I have been to the Brooks on three different sea kayaking trips with two of those being all the way around coming from the north. Did a few small day hike ventures inland from the north side lagoons. Thick as advertised! Plan on potentially being in dense fog/clouds out that way. Your proposed dates can be perfect Indian Summer or early fall with solid rain. Coin toss in September. Wish I could go with you, but I am just back from a trip to Banks Island further up the coast. Did some hiking there and saw wolves.

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman