Forum Index > Partners > gravel/ridge lakes and a scramble this weekend!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostMon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Hey All, I'm headed to Gravel and Ridge lakes this weekend and hoping to scramble Thomson as well. Everyone I was suppose to go with bailed today (what is it about just married people?!?!) so I'm looking for a new buddy. Don't post many trip reports here but for reference I did 5 days in the Pasayten last weekend, the tooth the weekend before that, rampart lakes before that. Do a lot of backpacking, scrambling and rock climbing. Have been out with several folks from this site as well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostMon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 pm 
What's the exposure like on Thomson?I was just looking at doing all the high points in that area in a weekend since I haven't done any of them yet."That area"Snoqualmie to Alaska"minus Hibox because it looks like a rock climb from the PCT.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Sep 12, 2011 5:36 pm 
It's not bad at all. Easy class 2 for the most part. A couple bands of rock that I'd call class 3 near the top. One class 4 move getting onto the summit block. The class 4 move isn't bad once you realize that there are tons of nice footholds on your far left and that you simply need to chimney / span the crack rather than trying to climb up the middle. Might be a little airy on the downclimb, but that's where you send the more confident climber first to scout it out and spot the other. FWIW - Tom and I did this after sunset when we visited. Came down from the top in darkening skies and made it to Bumblebee Basin and camp in pitch black, taking less than 90 minutes from the top. Far easier in daylight hours.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 12, 2011 6:40 pm 
Did someone mention the Bumble Bee basin?
Bumble Bee Basin
Bumble Bee Basin

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln