Forum Index > Partners > Travel Medicine Seminar The Mountaineers Program Center
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MT Seminars

MT Seminars
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm 
Is one of your New Year resolutions to travel to remote locations? Are you planning any long trips in 2012? If so, come to the Travel Medicine seminar by Anne Terry on Tuesday, January 24 at 7pm at The Mountaineers Program Center. What do I do if I get bit by a monkey? What the heck is Chikungunya fever? Do I need malaria prophylaxis in Honduras? If you have ever pondered these travel questions and more, come to an update on travel medicine by Anne Terry, ARNP. Good information for all travelers, this seminar is especially recommended for anyone considering expeditions to remote locales. Anne is a certified travel provider by the International Society of Travel Medicine (ISTM) and has been to 6 of 7 continents as an avid traveler and a medical volunteer. She is currently on staff at the University of Washington's Travel Clinic at Hall Health Center. Anne has been a Seattle Mountaineer since 1993 and is a 2000 graduate of the Basic Climbing Course. No registration necessary. No fee. Members and non-members welcome. Let me know if you have any questions

The Mountaineers Explore Learn Conserve
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Jan 12, 2012 6:02 pm 
Thanks for sharing! up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Wolfman

Wolfman
PostTue Jan 17, 2012 9:16 am 
Questions; Where is the class located? Address or what not, not sure the location of the "The Mountaineers Program Center". Is there a Fee for this class or is it just a information class? Do you have a link to the "The Mountaineers" web site? And, do they teach the first aid and wilderness first aid classes? Any info would be great. I usually keep my First Aid certification current for work, but I would like to get more back country training. It's been a long time sense I had combat medical training in the Army, some of which I am sure rarely happens in the backcountry.... Well Hopefully not! smile.gif Wolfman

renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostWed Jan 18, 2012 12:14 am 
The class is for TRAVEL medicine....not WILDERNESS medicine. Big difference. If you are interested in a Wilderness First Aid/First Responder Course, you have a couple of options. One, REI usually offers a Wilderness FA class for under $100. Check with your local store. I know there is one on the schedule at the Portland store, but I want more advanced training because I work in Healthcare already. Two, WMI offers Wilderness FR classes for $700 at various locations, including the Seattle area (and Portland too!). Info can be found here: http://www.nols.edu/wmi/ You can also check at your local community colleges/universities to see if they offer these classes. This is the class I am probably going to take. I'd love to take the Wilderness EMT class but don't have a month to take off from work to do it...

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
radka

radka
PostWed Jan 18, 2012 8:15 am 

The future is yard birds
Wolfman

Wolfman
PostWed Jan 18, 2012 10:35 am 
Thanks to both of you for the information and options. I hope I will be able to work one of these classes into my schedule this spring/summer. Wolfman