Forum Index > Trip Reports > Del Camp Peak - 8/13/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Guiran

Guiran
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 1:21 pm 
Daring Friday the 13th to do its worst, three of us headed up to Gothic Basin and 2/3 of us made it up Del Campo Peak. This is probably my favorite scramble in Washington (so far). Remarkably stable talus on the approach, only a little bit of scree at the bottom, and sound rock all the way to the top. Great views of the Monte Cristos, Baker, and Glacier - though haze kept Rainier invisible. Foggy Lake makes a great swim this time of year on the way back down. From Foggy Lake, traverse broken talus counterclockwise around the lake. On the low hill separating Foggy Lake from another, smaller lake, a climber's path should be visible. The track heads around the smaller lake and then climbers to the brushy hill below the talus field at the base of Del Campo. Follow a few random cairns up the talus field towards a gully that should now be visible. DO NOT GO UP THE GULLY. Ascend class 2-3 rock to the left of the gully to the ridge below the summit. Here a climbers path fades in and out among the rocks. There are two options to reach or come down from the summit. To the climber's left is a steep, rocky path that leads to the summit blocks. It's pretty close to the edge and feels somewhat exposed. The other option is a series of sandy traverses to the right. Both times I've done Del Campo, I've ascended on the left, then gotten suckered in by the sandy path on the way down. Having never descended on the left, I don't know how the exposure would feel on a descent, but I think it might actually be the better of the two choices. On a side note, has anyone else noticed that there seem to be *way* more people camping along the Mountain Loop this year? Both times I've been up there recently, every turn-off and campground seems full. Someone at the Green Gables market was telling me there were 3000 people camping a few weeks ago. Where did all these people come from? The Mountain Loop has always seemed like such an overlooked place.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 3:23 pm 
Guiran wrote:
On a side note, has anyone else noticed that there seem to be *way* more people camping along the Mountain Loop this year?
We go up there a lot, but only on the weekdays, and it hasn't been too bad. Usually only see a couple folks. However, I went to Ice Caves last Sunday, when my 79-year-old mother was visiting. (She made it just fine, by the way.) That place was like walking around Green Lake! I swear there must have been a tour bus up there. I think there's just more people in the world, even here in the NW. All that work they're doing on the road, where it turns off Highway 9, makes me shudder. Bigger roads mean more development.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
aestivate

aestivate
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 3:23 pm 
Guiran wrote:
On a side note, has anyone else noticed that there seem to be *way* more people camping along the Mountain Loop this year? Both times I've been up there recently, every turn-off and campground seems full. Someone at the Green Gables market was telling me there were 3000 people camping a few weeks ago. Where did all these people come from? The Mountain Loop has always seemed like such an overlooked place.
Well, aside from the overpopulation of the planet, one could speculate: 1) the effect of the closure of S Fk Sauk section of the the Mt loop may serve to concentrate the usage on the S Fk stilly section, turn it into more of a destination. Although there are no campgrounds in the inaccessible Mt Loop section (roughly chockwich creek to Barlow pass). 2) two campgrounds on the Whitechuck, and one Campground on the Suiattle, are inaccessible because of last fall's floods. Lots of road stretches which were used for "dispersed" informal motorized car camping are also unavailable 3) really sustained hot sunny weather has got more people thinking about car camping by rivers.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 10:39 pm 
The Mt. Loop hwy area has been a zoo for years. Full campgrounds and packed trails have been the norm for at least 15 years (hey, I'm only 35-I don't know what it was like before that). I believe that the Ice Caves have long been the most visited spot in the MBSNF.