Forum Index > Trip Reports > April 22-25, 2012 Natural Bridges Natl Monum/Cedar Mesa Utah
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 am 
One of the very special things about being human is to fully love a wild landscape. Cedar Mesa is a place to fall in love with the canyons. This is classic canyon hiking at its very best and beautifulest. It is also the epicenter of Ancestral Puebloan (anasazi) culture, in the wild, outside of the major city centers like Chaco or Mesa Verde. After leaving Lori and Grand junction I headed to Natural Bridges National Monument, my favorite National Park Service park of all! To my delight, and good fortune, I ran into the small tribe of anasazi enthusiasts I have been running into and getting to know some over the past few years. They are a very kind, generous, and welcoming bunch. It has been a pleasure and privilege to hike with three of them, in parrticular, and spend great time pondering things in conversations around the picnic table. As a usually solo traveler I had a precious time. The entire area is ideal for base camps and daytrips which is what I did each day, sharing two days with Kathy, Larry, and Chris. I will leave the details out because it is all so available in guidebooks for those who may be interested or tempted to get down this way: "Hikes of the Colorado plateau," Michael Kelsey, the "Wow" series, or the Mountaineers "Hiking in the Southwest". There is a great pamphlet (Cedar Mesa/Grand Gulch Trip Planner) explaining all these canyons available at the Kane Gulch BLM Ranger Station in the heart of it all. The rock art here can date back to the birth of Christ and more rock art and cliff dwellings are from between 1050 and 1275 AD. April 22: Natural Bridges National Monument White and Deer Canyons. Did a 6 mile loop between Kachina and Sipapu natural bridges with an out and back of Deer Canyon to an impassable pour off. The loop is a maintained trail.
Kachina Bridge
Kachina Bridge
Metates and petroglyphs
Metates and petroglyphs
IMG_6284
IMG_6284
Kachina ruin
Kachina ruin
Headress pics
Headress pics
Serpent
Serpent
Kachina area petroglyph
Kachina area petroglyph
Kachina and creek
Kachina and creek
Rock Ruin arch
Rock Ruin arch
The way out
The way out
Collared granary
Collared granary
Interesting curved entrance
Interesting curved entrance
IMG_6311
IMG_6311
Ceiling detail
Ceiling detail
Roof detail
Roof detail
Masonry detail
Masonry detail
Rock Ruin Panel 2
Rock Ruin Panel 2
Rock Ruin Panel
Rock Ruin Panel
Tamborine Men
Tamborine Men
White Canyon Mushroom
White Canyon Mushroom
Famous Horse Collar
Famous Horse Collar
Horse Collar dwellings
Horse Collar dwellings
White Canyon Beauty
White Canyon Beauty
Deer Canyon side trip:
Difficult friction bypass
Difficult friction bypass
End of the road
End of the road
Deer slot bypass
Deer slot bypass
Pretty Deer Canyon
Pretty Deer Canyon
Deer Narrows (Natural Bridges NM)
Deer Narrows (Natural Bridges NM)
Duck head-Four arms
Duck head-Four arms
Many Hands
Many Hands
Sipapu Bridge
Sipapu Bridge
April 23: Lime Canyon, Cedar Mesa. This is on the BLM administered lands near Grand Gulch Primitive Area. There are no established actual trails but good cairned routes. It is all about seeking ways to ascend and descend, search for ruins seen in the distance and enjoying the unique lay of the land. There is no real destination. I hiked with my new friends Kathy, Larry, and Chris. We probably did about 6 miles RT descending from near the head of Lime Canyon, working downstream, and returning roughly the same way.
Entering Lime Canyon
Entering Lime Canyon
Lime Canyon walls
Lime Canyon walls
Scampering in Lime Canyon
Scampering in Lime Canyon
Larry, Kathy, Chris searching
Larry, Kathy, Chris searching
Down Lime
Down Lime
Chris rounds a buttress
Chris rounds a buttress
Kiva and dwelling Lime Canyon
Kiva and dwelling Lime Canyon
Beautiful Lime Canyon
Beautiful Lime Canyon
Little Citadel ridge
Little Citadel ridge
John in Lime
John in Lime
Nice ruin Lime Canyon
Nice ruin Lime Canyon
Inaccessible ruins
Inaccessible ruins
masonry
masonry
Chris descending
Chris descending
Lime Canyon Hoodoo
Lime Canyon Hoodoo
April 24: John's Canyon Main West Fork. More ambling and scrambling into and out of this canyon with Larry, Chris, and Kathy. We enjoyed walking benches, washes, scrambling ledges, and each others company beneath a very hot sun! We found a loop exit out a side canyon at the end of the day and rim walked back to the car. No real trail, but good cairned routes and evidence of previous travelers.
Entering Main W. Fk. John's
Entering Main W. Fk. John's
So-so granary, John's
So-so granary, John's
John's ruin
John's ruin
Another granary
Another granary
Kathy and nice granary
Kathy and nice granary
Half intact mudded door
Half intact mudded door
Chris and Kathy
Chris and Kathy
Main West Fork Johns Cyn
Main West Fork Johns Cyn
John's Cyn Pic
John's Cyn Pic
Cherds at Two Ledge
Cherds at Two Ledge
Petroglyph Lower Two Ledge
Petroglyph Lower Two Ledge
Kathy's Mano
Kathy's Mano
Chris
Chris
Chris and John's Canyon
Chris and John's Canyon
Fire scar
Fire scar
Granary and Door
Granary and Door
Black on White
Black on White
Chris searching for more
Chris searching for more
Nice Ruins John's
Nice Ruins John's
Tower remnants John's
Tower remnants John's
Beautiful Granary
Beautiful Granary
Exiting John's
Exiting John's
Road Kill Black on White
Road Kill Black on White
April 25: Lower Mule Canyon Towers and Ruins. I am now heading to Canyonlands with my 5 day backpack permit so I had enough time yesterday to do a short hike into Lower Mule Canyon, right off Hwy 95. I also wanted to scout a route down through the ledges into the bottom for a future longer hike. It was time for all of us to part ways from the campground so I got an early start back to civilization to get a few correspondences accomplished. One of these ruins is truly a favorite of mine!
South Tower
South Tower
Mule South Tower
Mule South Tower
Lower Mule view
Lower Mule view
Kiva
Kiva
Lower Mule Ruins
Lower Mule Ruins
Nice masonry
Nice masonry
Moki Steps and Circles
Moki Steps and Circles
Double T Doors
Double T Doors
Bear Tracks
Bear Tracks
A favorite
A favorite
Duck Head and Tracks
Duck Head and Tracks
Duck Head-Bear Track Ruin
Duck Head-Bear Track Ruin
Claret cups
Claret cups
Flowers
Flowers
Can you see the wall?
Can you see the wall?
Chicken Pox wall
Chicken Pox wall
Little Hovenweep
Little Hovenweep

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 8:37 am 
That is waaay kool! up.gif Did you need any special permits to get to the ruins? It has been a dream for me to get to that area and hike to Anasazi ruins! Thanks for posting agree.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Hayduke

Hayduke
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 pm 
Cedar Mesa is my favoritest place of all. I always knew I loved it, but didn't realize how much until I moved to Seattle (had lived three hours from Cedar Mesa). Thanks for the TR!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 pm 
Very nice. up.gif One of the things I became very aware of in my own southwest trip was that National Parks (or other stunning locales) have this great ability to bring people together. Almost everyone is friendly, welcoming and smiling, with the shared experience. Quite precious.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 am 
Very cool. My mother grew up on the Zuni, NM reservation along with her family. They are not of indian descent, but those relations know about a lot of places like these, and a few times I've been lucky to go along. These places need all the protection they can get, and sometimes I think being more public is better than being more secret.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Apr 30, 2012 1:02 pm 
TrailPair wrote:
That is waaay kool! up.gif Did you need any special permits to get to the ruins? It has been a dream for me to get to that area and hike to Anasazi ruins! Thanks for posting agree.gif
TP: For overnighting in Cedar Mesa canyons the BLM requires you go to the Kane Gulch Ranger Station and get a permit. Dayhiking is self issue at the TH's. They are appropriately protective of the natural and cultural resources so they limit camping numbers per day but with flexibility it should not be a problem to get an overnight permit in one of the canyons. I think you can mail in or online also. No permits for the ruins themselves. Just sit and watch a mandatory video at the ranger station to learn proper etiquette for approaching ruins and rock art. Then pass the good words along! I just got out of 5 days in the Salt Creek, Horse, and Five Fingers Canyons of the Canyonlands Needles District. Tired and elated, I hope to have a TR up soon. Thanks for the good words! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Apr 30, 2012 1:03 pm 
With that avatar, Hayduke, why am I not surprised to discover that! I will miss Cedar Mesa until next year. John