Forum Index > Partners > lake Chelan to Cascade pass may 17th - may 21st
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi
PostMon Apr 09, 2012 12:37 pm 
I was thinking of hiking the chelan lakeshore trail and then doing a bit of hiking around Stehekin but I realized you can hike through to the cascade pass. In this case I just wanted to post something to see if anyone would be interested in doing a key swap halfway down the trail. I was planning to start on the morning of the 17th may and finish on the evening of the 21st may. Not sure how much snow will still be around but I can't think of any other early Season backpacking trips to get under my belt before I start the more serious hikes. Az...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Apr 09, 2012 2:08 pm 
In May you are looking at meters and meters of snow at the pass. And the road to the pass might not even be open at that time either. I was thinking of doing same, but once all the snow melts out - say August long weekend or in September (before the new snows come).

BigBear

BigBear
PostMon Apr 09, 2012 3:55 pm 
There will be a LOT of snow towards cascade pass. We did the lakeshore trail last year at about the same time you want to go. It was very nice, almost too warm and lots of snakes. You could keep yourself busy hiking the trails out of Stehekin for a couple days once you get there. My favorite hike was to the bakery wink.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 pm 
Quote:
My favorite hike was to the bakery
That is a MUST stop!!! I agree that it will be far too early to go over Cascade Pass. Even if this were a low snow year (it most definitely isn't!), May would be way too early. Enjoy the Lakeshore Trail and then spend a couple of days exploring the low elevation trails around Stehekin.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
hikerdan3369
Slave to The Gear

hikerdan3369
Slave to The Gear
PostThu May 03, 2012 7:59 pm 
I've heard the washout at Meadow Creek might be currently impassable. You might want to check with the rangers if you're thinking about the Lakeshore trail. Edit: I also heard the bakery won't open until June??? Both of these buzzkill items are what I've heard from other posts on various threads here since I am/was planning a May 21, 22, 23 Lakeshore Trail gear shakedown hike.

If it were easy everybody would do it.