Forum Index > Partners > McClellan from Ingalls on Saturday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm 
Looks like my son (rocknclimb) and I are going to attempt McClellan peak from Ingalls via Crystal Creek drainage this Saturday. It's going to be long...something like 20 miles, and I think there's @ 6,000' total elevation gain. Going to start early. Feel free to join us.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mountain goat
shegoat

mountain goat
shegoat
PostWed Jul 04, 2012 4:49 pm 
How much gear will we need? Ice axe and crampons? What time are you starting on Sat? I would probably drive out Fri PM and camp at the Ingalls Creek trailhead; is there room enough there? Would it be a class 2 climb?

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostWed Jul 04, 2012 10:21 pm 
It can be done--but why kill yourself tired? Lovely camping in Crystal Creek basin. You may want to consider taking the steep gully to the right at the top of Crystal Creek basin (this will save you the 1 mile detour around Crystal lake). Check out TR by Dicey. The gully may be a bit dicey at the top. Or even better: at this time of year it may be easy to head up north earlier, somewhere between the intersections with trails 1216 and 1217, aiming for the basin under the word "RANGE" on the GT map. That will save 6 miles and eliminate the class 3 snow finger that leads to McClellan ridge (but may involve tricky terrain on the S side). I remember seeing somewhere a TR on that route--nwhikers or summitpost. Good luck. N