Forum Index > Partners > Need backpacking buddies for Wonderland Trail: 8/19-8/29
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SummitSeekingGal

SummitSeekingGal
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 6:53 pm 
Wonderland Trail - 93 miles, LOTS of elevation gain and loss in 10 days. Are you up for it? Dates: August 19-29, 2012 Permit is for 5 hikers. Plan: 8/19 - Leave Seattle-area mid-morning. Pick up permit and drop off cache at Longmire. Drop off cache at Sunrise. Drive around to Mowich Lake TH and camp overnight. 8/20 - Start trip at Mowich Lake going clockwise. 8/20-8/29: details to be posted 8/29 - Finish at Mowich Lake and drive back to Seattle. Two food caches will be spaced 3-4 days apart. Length of hikes will vary between 7-13 miles per day. I'm definitely open to additional side trips as time permits. I also enjoy photography which will require photo op stops from time to time. Moderate pace would be preferred. The trip will not be a race to the finish but a time to rejuvenate while away from work. Gear: I have enough gear to support myself including a 3-man tent. An additional stove would be nice as a back-up. If you have an altimeter, even better. Updated snow report (8/1/12): Only 10% of the trail is now snow covered. This is down from 45% only two weeks ago. Summerland to Indian Bar has no boot track. Route finding difficult. Ranger feels this will not be an issue by the end of August. Why looking for backpacking buddies? I've been planning and training for this trips for months. Just found out that my backpacking partner can't go on the trip. I was really looking forward to the trip and am hoping to find others to enjoy the trip with me. Interested?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm 
awwww man I'm with leaddogie in idaho for a first class trip to the bighorn crags ...(south section)... this is one of the greatest invite's I've seen on the sight ever! up.gif

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 pm 
I'm interested. Being a 61 year old schoolteacher, I have the time to make this trip work. My general fitness level is decent, but I like the "moderate" pace you describe. I'm in little hurry these days. Things I can bring to the trip include an altimeter, MSR Reactor stove, bear canister and a few decades of off-trail mountaineering experience. On Rainier, I've only climbed the Kautz and Liberty Ridge routes, so many of the trail miles will be new to me.

SummitSeekingGal

SummitSeekingGal
PostFri Aug 03, 2012 9:26 am 
As of right now, I've found a group of women interested in the trip. Will repost if it doesn't work out. Thanks for sharing interest.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Aug 03, 2012 1:50 pm 
Thanks for notifying me in a timely fashion. I'm headed out to Kololo tonight and this helps me plan the next days . . . weeks of good weather. Have a great time on the trail!

JZ

JZ
PostWed Aug 08, 2012 8:22 am 
Any chance you have room for two more on the return trip? We're hiking from Mowich starting on 8/19 and returning on 8/29 and are looking for rides both ways since our transportation plans just fell apart. We'd be happy to chip in for gas and other costs. Sounds like we might cross paths on the trail either way!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 pm 
sounds like she wants women partners...oh and tanks for responding to the pm from me.... huh.gif

SummitSeekingGal

SummitSeekingGal
PostThu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm 
Plans didn't work out. Not going on the trip. Sorry we couldn't work out transportation together. Have a fantastic time!

gottahike

gottahike
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 2:08 pm 
I'm sorry your trip has to be cancelled. I hope you're able to experience this fabulous hike in the future. In the meantime, please let the rangers at MRNP know of you cancellation so that the backcountry camping permits don't go to waste. Thanks.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostMon Aug 13, 2012 8:38 am 
Hi there: It sounds like you cancelled the trip so if that's the case, think about joining my Holden - Image Lake - Stehekin trip posted here. I would love some company, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the area.

estinadel
estinadel

estinadel
estinadel
PostTue Aug 14, 2012 5:01 am 
I know this is on a slight tangent - but speaking of cancellations for the Wonderland Trail - if anyone hears of a CANCELLATION at the beg of Sept, two of us (without permits so far) are dead keen! we're flying in from Australia to visit family but also to do the whole of the Wonderland Trail. Many thanks!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Aug 14, 2012 7:54 am 
SHOOT JUst head up to the north cascades!!...or glacier peak area...oh did you do the spider meadows loop around lyman lakes????? MINDBLOWING!!!