Forum Index > Food & Grub > Tea
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostTue Dec 25, 2012 8:50 am 
Have a cold once again.Perfect timing..... Was at QFC last night looking at tea to actually make me sleepy and maybe soothe my sore throat. Seems like a big difference in teas.The cheaper stuff ($4) comes in a paper box and the higher end stuff ($12) comes in a metal container.What's the difference?Is there better stuff to be had locally? Since I'm a newbie I grabbed the Celestial Sleepy Time and Stash Lemon Ginger. Longhair27 suggested I take ginger root for the throat so I picked some of that up as well.And some honey to add to the tea. Sleeping more,maybe 4-5 hours last night. Also taking Herb Pharm herbal extracts;Echinacea/Goldenseal,Fenugreek,Licorice and some Nettle Blend.Mixed with water in a seperate glass.Not sure if they interfere with my sleep. The extracts work well.As for the tea,I expected more.Oh well,I'll take what I can get. I'd like to know more about tea since I hear such good things about it.Really want to stray away from Diet Coke in 2013.Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm 
like2thruhike wrote:
Celestial Sleepy Time
I have the Sleepy Time most nights. Plain; no honey. I drink Earl Grey with a little honey at lunch. Like you, I try to avoid the Diet Colas, so a little honey seems to help out. There's lots of on-line info on the various herbs and their health benefits. I'm not sure if a little herbal tea each day helps much with an already healthy diet though so I just go with whatever tastes good as apposed to some gawd-aweful nasty tasting "cure-all" stuff smile.gif For a really bad sore throat, I'll chew a Tylenol and don't wash it down. It sure does work.

LewisGoes

LewisGoes
PostWed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm 
Try Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night w/valerian for falling asleep and Throat Coat for sore throat. Throat Coat has Slippery elm to coat the throat and licorice to thin mucus secretions.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostSun Dec 30, 2012 11:30 pm 
Tea... aah! I love my tea! I usually have few cups a day. On your question about different boxes, tea have to be air sealed to stay good, in paper packaging it looses flavor fast. More expensive teas usually better quality. In higher quality Full-Leaf used, leftovers used for lower quality stuff. You can see how big are tea leafs are when you brew it. If you want better tea, you can go to "European" (Russian), Indian, Chinese speciality stores, they have good selections of teas by weight, or some mixes that are prepackaged. It is fun to see big leafs unroll as you brew your tea! I buy tea in Edmonds in Chinese store, it is $30 to $120 per pound. Good thing about it, you can brew it 3-4 times, and do not need much of it, and it is a real thing. (p.s. best tea is from Shrilanka. It grows at high altitudes in perfect climate)

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Dec 31, 2012 8:15 am 
Wow whoda thunk tea could be so complicated... lol.gif I've always just grabbed the Lipton bags out of the cupboard and threw them in the hot water to make a pitcher of iced tea... I guess I've never been much of a hot drink drinker.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm 
tigermn wrote:
I've always just grabbed the Lipton bags
I once asked for some good tea in restaurant in Cairo, and was offered some Lipton. I asked if they have anything better, serving guy got offended, and said that it is their best tea. That how I learned Lipton tea in Egypt taste nothing like Lipton tea in USA... I guess they can't fool those tea drinking arabs with cheap teas they are selling in states ... smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif I realy like (hot) tea!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
wakerobin

wakerobin
PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 pm 
http://www.choiceorganicteas.com/index.php Choice makes good teas, made locally, a friends husband used to be a blender there, so I have tried lots. Most QFC, Whole Foods type grocery stores carry them. I brought a bunch of tea home from China (we were in Dali, where much of the tea is grown.) My favorite is Ginseng, which looks like bb's or some kind of rodent poop tongue.gif I drink loads of it with honey when I feel sick. The Throat Coat is my old stand by, as well as the Breath Easy.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...