Forum Index > Food & Grub > Antler Velvet Extract- Magic Elixir or Just More Snake Oil?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm 
Antler Velvet Extracts are the new spirulina! Hundreds of new brands have flooded the market, perhaps in response to the hype being generated by professional sports.
I was highly skeptical of some of the claims being made, but a short google reveals lots of interesting data. Asians consume antlers by the ton, and have done for thousands of years. Basically, it cures everything, if one is to believe the promotional literature.
Quote:
Modern scientific research indicates deer velvet antler may improve general health, increase blood circulation, reduce blood pressure, increase energy and endurance, increase muscle development, improve joint health, increase muscle recovery, and improve sexual health
Wiki Antler juice has been banned from football, baseball, golf and the Olympics. One company has filed a lawsuit against baseball in retaliation for the ban. Detractors mention links with TRANSMISSIBLE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHIES, Crutzfeld-Jacob/Prion/ Mad Cow disease among some of the potential drawbacks. Any hikers using this stuff? Does it increase your mileage or reduce injuries? Curious minds are eager to know! Also: Anybody roll your own? I can't help thinking about all those antlers out there, just laying around in the forest. I wonder if the FS sells a permit for collecting them...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostWed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm 
--Gray

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 am 
contour5 wrote:
Asians consume antlers by the ton
Ouch!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 pm 
Personally I prefer Pixie dust...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 pm 
how about some magic beans and fairy dust?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
contour5

contour5
PostThu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm 
I'm currently unable to source Pixie Dust on the global wholesale market, but I can score you a 55 gallon drum of moose antler extract:
Quote:
100% Handcrafted. The meticulously small batched, full spectrum, multi-point, micro-filtrated, multi-step process extracts all of the constituents and concentrates them for potency.
I would definitely purchase a used car from this man, no questions asked.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 am 
Wasn't the guy who came up with this like and exotic dancer or something?

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 pm 
Coincidentally, this is today's "Ask Dr Weil" topic: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401249/Is-Deer-Antler-Velvet-Worthwhile.html

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 am 
Have you heard about Wolffie's 100% All-Natural Pure Organic Scientific Panacea? Combination sunscreen, lip balm, vitamin & energy supplement, insect repellent, boot waterproofing, sore foot ointment, firestarter, emergency ration, euphoric intoxicant, dog food, hangover remedy, and personal lubricant. Comes in 5 flavors, 350 cal. per package. Good for scorpion stings and snake bites, too. Concocted from only the finest Canis dosticus extracts according to our proprietary formula (no animals were harmed in its exhaustive scientifically proven testing). PM me. Free shipping. In the 19th century, it was common to eat arsenic, or apply it topically, for health and sexual attractiveness and vigor. Whorton, The Arsenic Century. I can get you some of that, too.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.