Forum Index > Food & Grub > Isn't dehydrating COOKED meals killing more nutrients?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 am 
When you cook the meal you loose nutrients. Next, when you dehydrate food you lose more nutrients. Then, when you rehydrate it in boiling water you lose more nutrients. Please help me understand. I have noticed a growing trend in people cooking their food 3 times. I do know that dehydrated food is technically not considered cooked. I just don't like eating huge meals for the same amount of calories and nutrition. My producer and I are making my next video(cooking show) and would like to try and make it as uncontroversial as possible, then put it in the food section where there is less arguing. Thank you for your help.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graffiti

graffiti
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 am 
Critter wrote:
and would like to try and make it as uncontroversial as possible
If it's a cooking show then for your sake, don't use any words on camera that will come back to bite you in the butt a few years down the road.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 am 
That's funny and true. lol.gif

soUthinkUcanCamp
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 am 
By all means...there is plenty of room out there for a raw show. Just sayin'

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 pm 
Don't forget that you lose some nutrients, but increase others (lycopene, for example), and make others more available. And dehydrated foods are considered cooked, if they are dehydrated over a certain temperature (135F, iirc). But mostly, I do it because bringing all the stuff to cook from scratch on the trail is a PITA, and I will take the hit in order to have a good compromise of nutrition, taste, and convenience. ("Convenience" of the sort you get when making and dehydrating your own food, anyway. smile.gif )

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm 
Quote:
I do it because bringing all the stuff to cook from scratch on the trail is a PITA, and I will take the hit in order to have a good compromise of nutrition, taste, and convenience.
pretty much sums it up there.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm 
Quote:
I do it because bringing all the stuff to cook from scratch on the trail is a PITA, and I will take the hit in order to have a good compromise of nutrition, taste, and convenience.
In my next video I'll show you how you can change all of that. I feel it's better and usually easier to cook on the trail. I'll be explaining soon, in a home theater near you.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:47 pm 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
And dehydrated foods are considered cooked, if they are dehydrated over a certain temperature (135F, iirc)
Thanks, I was looking for that. I have to leave 2 replies because my computer broke and I'm on my girlfriend's Playstation.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 11:26 am 
What I do is partially pre-cook the food, dry at the lowest temperature possible that is appropriate for the food (so for example, meats take a higher temperature), then finish cooking on the trail (like 5' to 10' minutes). Although drying greatly helps preserve the food -- it does NOT last forever, so I also keep all my dried food in the freezer (partially because we have a large under-utilized freezer in the garage) to further extend it's life span. As Sarbar mentioned, this is especially important for oils or dairy. I don't worry so much about loss of vitamins, since I get plenty of them when I'm not hiking and getting diminished vitamins from my hiking food is not a big deal to me.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 11:48 am 
Aren't you cooking out calories as well? I don't know.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 am 
I've never heard of "cooking out calories", but I'll let the experts chime in on that.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:35 pm 
I'm not a vegan. Fresh trout is a tasty treat and not always available. I don't mid loosing a few calories by cooking, vs packing raw meat in unrefrigerated conditions multiple days. I'm not gonna eat that sirloin after its been in my pack for three of four days during the dog days of summer. eck.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:15 pm 
Cooking out calories? Only if you cook out fat and remove it.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 2:12 pm 
Critter wrote:
Aren't you cooking out calories as well?
I would love to understand the mechanism by which that might occur through dehydration. If you want to make this upcoming video uncontroversial, be quite sure of your facts around precisely which nutrients are lost in one method versus included in another. If you can offer good tasting eating at a similar weight/calories efficiency as dehydrated and that goes down the gullet at least as well and has more nutrients, and does not require a ton of fussing or a lot of whatever sort of fuel one chooses to use, it should be a good piece, especially if you don't forget that both taste and what a person's stomach handles well tends to vary quite a bit from person-to-person.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm 
Critter wrote:
Quote:
In my next video I'll show you how you can change all of that. I feel it's better and usually easier to cook on the trail. I'll be explaining soon, in a home theater near you.
Well, uncooked whole foods have more water content than dried whole foods. So, they weigh more. So, they are a PITA to carry in. I'm not compromising pack weight, because that means compromising my knees. If you've invented anti-grav so I can carry fresh tomatoes and peaches along with me without taking a weight hit, well... I probably couldn't afford it anyway. :P