Forum Index > Trail Talk > Crystal Mountain Hikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Keeperguy2

Keeperguy2
PostWed May 25, 2005 5:09 pm 
I'm heading up to Crystal Mountain with a group of friends on Friday, and I was looking for a moderate hike to do Saturday. I'm thinking that around 5-6 miles roundtrip and about 2000 feet elevation or so would be prime. I'm open to suggestions, I have researched a little online, but mainly looking for a short-midrange hike that I can take athletic non-hikers on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed May 25, 2005 5:24 pm 
Crystal peak/lakes! nice views of Rainier and good trail thats right around your requirments, Trailhead is right after Crystal mountain ski resort turnoff left side going east. Or another good one is Noble Knob, both have trip reports posted recently.

Ebrace life!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 25, 2005 6:54 pm 
Are you thinking of hikes in the Crystal ski area? More or less, in summer I like to go there and just wander all over..there are numerous alpine lakes hidden, along with tiny meadows, and babbling brooks. Take a look at a Topo and then just roam on the ski roads till you meet actual trail. Another great hike in summer is to go to Upper Crystal Lake via the PCT and Chinook Pass, but that is still buried at this time of year. Crystal Lakes-the lower one at least is very doable, off of Hwy 410.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed May 25, 2005 7:45 pm 
Are you going to be camping in that area and want something close by?
sarbar wrote:
Another great hike in summer is to go to Upper Crystal Lake via the PCT and Chinook Pass, but that is still buried at this time of year. Crystal Lakes-the lower one at least is very doable, off of Hwy 410.
Huh? sounds like the long way to me? the upper lake is only 3 miles from 410,with little gain,saw it 2 weeks ago and there was people hiking to it.
sarbar wrote:
then just roam on the ski roads till you meet actual trail.
Sounds like fun, why not take the chair lift to the top? If you are referring to Hen skin , miners lakes, and access to the P.C.T, and you like views of roads ,buildings and chairlifts this will be perfect. There is also Norse peak, but it is 10 miles round trip and a lot of gain involved. Watch out for TICKS in these areas!

Ebrace life!
mpaul hansen

mpaul hansen
PostWed May 25, 2005 8:39 pm 
Crystal Mtn vicinity hikes ....
Crystal Mtn vicinity hikes .... A rough map of the trails in the drainage basin is available, prepared by the resort. Some of the trails in the southerly direction [where some ski tour in winter] have more "solitude" to them, than those with views of the 'resort', and its facilities. One can also carefully venture off trail too. This is a spot I often solo day hike, due to Mt. Rainier views. Locally less rain at times, too. Also because it is felt the parked car is not as likely to be trashed as compared to a remote trailhead. At least that is my experience. Some places here not the best for a group of small kids due to horse use and trails that have been 'torn up', at least in the past.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 25, 2005 9:01 pm 
Hichen......why do I go in via Chinook Pass? Alpine Bliss. I'd rather hike the PCT to Sourdough Gap and sneak in the back way! (Not that it is any easier.....there is no pesky trees to shade you wink.gif But oh the views of Rainer!) As for the ski area...well, last year and the year before they didn't run the lifts in the summer. One of my favorite hikes is to park my truck, walk thru the ski area buildings, and head straight up that steep cat "rd", then hook a right and wander up and up and up, till I come to a junction of sorts (having passed a small pond or two), this junction is where you could go right to connect with the trail to Crystal Mt.....(where the restaraunt is). Instead I cross it and go awandering....so many lakes, so little time wink.gif I end up going past Henskin Lake(s) and then up to Bear Gap, get on the PCT and head for basins beyond. For the most part if you keep your vision narrow you see a lot that isn't the ski area. You can easily get in 10-15 miles if you want and never leave subalpine. Oh yeah, and the bears use the PCT quite a bit...get up there and you see fresh tracks and scat. Not a lot of people go up there. Even the horsey folk stay below, they want the easier trails, down below the PCT. Coolest thing was sleeping in one of the basins above the ski area, less than 3 miles away and hearing a cougar howling at night above us. Ooh-la-la! PS: Most of these cat rds are on TOPO and the FS prints a guide for the White River district that shows all the trails.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Justan

Justan
PostWed May 25, 2005 9:34 pm 
There is still snow above about 5500.’ One of my favorite early season hikes there is to head up along chair 4 (main road that leads straight away from the base area, and follow it up to the bottom of the forest queen chair. From there either head up to the top of Rex, or follow the trail towards Rex but a few hundred yards from the bottom of the forest queen chair, follow the road left. From here you will pass 2 lakes, as you wind your way towards the top of the forest queen chair. A little above the upper lake, on the flank of silver queen is a trail that leads over the bear pits and towards the lucky shot area. From there you can wind your way up rex, silver queen, or head down. It is a nice about 2000’ gain hike and takes about 3-5 hours (rt) if you wander a bit and take a leisurely lunch. The silver basin area (above chair 4) is still pretty snowed in and soft, so you’ll want xc gear or snow shoes to make any ground once into the snow. The north faces are still snowed in. Another nice area is to the top of bullion basin, which is above the housing development called Gold Hills. From standing at the base area Gold Hills is to your left. There is a road that will take you to the housing development and you can hike from there, or near there and maintain your stated 2000’ gain. The Bullion basin area is a delight and connects to the PCT. If you feel energetic head up the Kelly’s gap road (to the right of the base area). It’s steep but you can make it up to about 6200 (or more) and enjoy the green valley basin area and some nice views of the area. You can’t go terribly wrong with any of the trails, almost all the peaks in the area are around 3000' gain from the parking lot Also to echo Sarbar, the chair lifts are not scheduled to run this summer...

-Justan Elk
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed May 25, 2005 10:23 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Hichen......why do I go in via Chinook Pass? Alpine Bliss.
I thought that this thread needed some drama devilsmile.gif I wholeheartly agree that the P.C.T around Chinook pass is amazing, been on both trails(sheep lake..ect..) myself and can't argue with that! Do to the position of those" ski trails"hikes though, they hold snow longer then the southernly facing: Norse,Noble knob and Crystal peak,and there is less snow on them this time of year. good place to see elk and whatnot smile.gif

Ebrace life!
Justan

Justan
PostWed May 25, 2005 10:52 pm 
Yeah. The elk generally stay below the snow but are all over the place in the area.

-Justan Elk
Keeperguy2

Keeperguy2
PostWed May 25, 2005 11:14 pm 
Thanks
All of those hikes sound like good fun. I'll research them some more and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Thanks again...

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu May 26, 2005 12:59 pm 
Norse Peak and Crow lakes basin....I was at Raven Roost Last weekend and the snow is very minimal even at 5700 feet. Raven Roost ain't far away so I assume.....

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")