Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Dickerman 5.30.2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon May 30, 2005 8:15 pm 
After finishing up my holiday shift I had to get out of town for an afternoon hike, with as much as wildernessed spits out trip reports I feel like im never in the woods. Yes I too sense a little trail envy here. I figured id head for the mountain loop highway and take my chances summiting either Pilchuck or Dickerman. As I approached the cloud covered mountains I became a little concerned, the clouds were not burning off like id hoped. There is nothing worse than hiking a mountain without views. I drove past Pilchuck assuming it was not tall enough for blue skies on top. I pulled into the Mount Dickerman trailhead, 16.6 miles past the verlot ranger station making my Toyota Camry the tenth vehicle in the parking lot. I hit the trail at 11am at a steady pace knowing I had a long way to go and lots of elevation gain. I like the trail, good shape, maybe a few too many rocks, but oh well. The first few thousand feet of elevation gain seemed to roll right off without a problem, it was the last thousand that put the boot in my ass. I hit snow around 5000 feet, but barely enough to even mention. After crossing a couple extremely small snow fields I would be making my final approach to the summit. Unfortunately once there, I had not a single view. Just my luck, I guess that’s what happens when you take a chance. This was a great hike, and everyone I met along the way was quite friendly. The flowers that dotted the trail were worth the trip alone, all kinds of colors out. I can only imagine this trip when the blueberries are in season and the skies are clear. On a day like that it could take forever to get to the top, not today, 2.5 hours. I waited around for more than an hour hoping the clouds would break, they never did. Someday I will have to make that trip back when the blueberries are out and the skies are clear. I hear the views are magnificent. Round trip 8.5 miles, and 3,900 feet of elevation gain, with a summit elevation of 5,723 feet. Source, 100 classic hikes in Washington.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 30, 2005 8:33 pm 
Dude we must have seen you as we did exacty the same thang cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message