Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Wildlife bridges could make I-90 more wildlife-friendly
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Jun 11, 2005 11:03 pm 
A good thing. up.gif
Quote:
Wildlife bridges could make I-90 more wildlife-friendly 06:57 PM PDT on Friday, June 10, 2005 From KING 5 Staff and Wire Reports SEATTLE – State transportation officials have come up with a plan to provide safe passage for animals crossing one of Washington's busiest roadways. It's the out-of-the-box plan to make I-90 more wildlife-friendly… To handle the human traffic, state transportation officials rolled out a plan showing a six-lane expansion on I-90 for 15 miles east of Snoqualmie Summit… So while they're at it, they could expand some of the existing bridges and add new culverts to add a sort of highway underneath a highway – exclusively for animals. And in at least one place, they would add an overpass. One of those overpasses actually exists in Canada, along with several underpassages for wildlife – and it works!... And to find out if animals are using their safe passageways, researchers set up hidden cameras. They caught on tape bull elk ushering through the herd, mother and baby bears taking the safe route across the highway, and even cougars creeping under busy traffic... If the I-90 expansion plan is approved, engineers say they can add the wildlife passages for a small percentage of the total project cost. The more expensive option for improving the interstate would widen it from four to six lanes, straighten some curves, stabilize slopes and adjust lanes to avoid avalanches. Estimated costs range from $410 million to $980 million. The 2005 Legislature committed $387.7 million toward the project, which is scheduled to begin in 2011 and last up to seven years. The state DOT says the wildlife corridors could cost between $25 million and $100 million...
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_061005ENBwildlifepathwaysKC.2ffe0050b.html http://www.i90wildlifebridges.org/

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Jun 11, 2005 11:36 pm 
They have these in the Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies, and the elk herds really took to them. I saw quite a few using them while I was there last fall. It was pretty cool to see.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 8:33 am 
The wildlife corridor idea sounds cool. But I dunno that the state really needs to expand I-90 around there. It wouldn't hurt and will have to be done at some point in the future obviously. But IME I never run into traffic that slows you down in that area. Traffic can be heavy sometimes but not to the point that everyone starts going 40 mph or 10 mph. I'm sure there are problems when it snows with accidents and people going slow but most of those problems will still exist as long as there is snow on the highway. I think it would be a much better use of a billion dollars if they spent it someplace with much worse congestion right now such as the 520 bridge project or 405 between I-90 and 167 or some other choke point where an extra lane would be of much more value for getting traffic moving. Or maybe make parts of US 2, especially between Monroe and Index into a four lane highway instead of a 2 lane highway. Or the viaduct which they do not seem to have money for.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 8:59 am 
A billion does seem pricey for the I-90 general project, and I'm with you on spending it on SR-520, but IIRC they're pushing some form of the I-90 project due to the periodic shutdowns from avalanches. Interruption of commerce and all the rest has been cited. A new tunnel has even been proposed. The opposition to any big 520 project — that is, the folks with some dollars in Medina, Hunts Point, Yarrow Point, Clyde Hill, Montlake and Madison Park who've formed community groups to oppose 520 improvements — has been going on for years. Such fierce and well-financed opposition doesn't exist just east of the Pass. In any case, with the I-90 project, it seems a good idea to spend a few extra bucks on some wildlife access points.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 3:06 pm 
I don't get it, at least as far as vehicle - wildlife encounters the area on I-90 between Issaquah and North Bend seems to have had a fair share of collisions- last year some folks died when they hit a herd of deer and their car flipped off the freeway. Maybe they should consider that area first for wildlife crossings and it would be cheaper to build I imagine than up at the pass. For the 15 miles east of Snoq. Pass I-90 IMO doesn't need to be widened, just repaved. If they do build a critter skybridge or tunnel there it would be cheaper building it across the freeway at its current width besides.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 10:39 pm 
I'm with you (one of the recent articles on the subject mentioned the accident you referenced), but I can see their point. East of the Pass, I-90 is a tad narrow and windy — it doesn't have the same open feeling of safety it does on the west side, and it does have unpredictable closures during the winter. I think they're claiming building the wildlife crossings in conjunction with an expansion project would be cheaper than building them where there is no project. If the expansion project happens east of the Pass, which it likely will, I'll take the critter crossings wherever they offer them. Incidentally, here's a link to some of the proposed tunnel configurations: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/southcentral/I90SnoqualmiePassEast/tunnel.htm

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 10:52 pm 
Upon further reflection yeah the freeway is pretty narrow east of the pass and there doesn't seem to be very many pulloffs for breakdowns- except for that longish stretch next to the lake where all the truckers rest and chain up. Widening the road will be a major expensive undertaking for sure- what with those tall rocky cliffs right next to it now. The road surface needs attention right now though- and with better lane markings as well. By the way, I drove right by the site of that fatal deer-car accident at approx. the same time of morning the very next day (5am-ish) - tell me that wasn't spooky as hell!

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 10:58 pm 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
what with those tall rocky cliffs right next to it now
Sort of interesting: check out the "Long Tunnel" option with the link I posted. It would pretty much render all of the avalanche paths and those steep cliffs inconsequential.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 12:15 am 
Yeah I hadn't read that yet- tunneling would seem to be a good option - my goodness they would have to take out a considerable amount of hillside to make room for a wider roadway the conventional way- if that was even feasible. Having the lake on the other side really restricts that corridor.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 11:20 am 
With all the budget cuts that our beloved Olympia nincompoops keep whining about and the fact that they are so hurtin for money, it seems that they should worry about more important things than wildlife bridges. How many people travel over I-90 in a year? Over a million maybe, how many of those hit a deer or elk or bear ect. Very very few. For a state to spend money on something as unnessary as this to please some special interest groups when they are about to raise my gas tax because of their "Emergency money shortfall" smacks of irresponsibility and waste. Lets spend valuable transportation dollars where it is needed most, 520, I-5, Hwy 18, Hwy 167, repairing the roads that we already have ect. FIRST. They jsut don't git it. shakehead.gif Is it any wonder that come November "Queen Christine" will have to figure out which tax to raise to make up for that REPEALED by the voters gas tax. Watch out you tobacco users and beer drinkers!!!

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Justan

Justan
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 11:30 am 
This funds will probably come from the recent fuel tax increases. Also, given the huge increase in property tax assessments throughout King and Pierce counties (my place’s value was assessed at 36% more than last year) the gov is profiteering better than the "best" of the wicked corporations. I'm delighted to see some of my tax dollars going towards animal preservation/conservation.

-Justan Elk
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 12:18 pm 
Justan wrote:
This funds will probably come from the recent fuel tax increases. Also, given the huge increase in property tax assessments throughout King and Pierce counties (my place’s value was assessed at 36% more than last year) the gov is profiteering better than the "best" of the wicked corporations. I'm delighted to see some of my tax dollars going towards animal preservation/conservation.
No they wont, because initiative 912 is going to receive all the necessary signatures by July 8the, and it will be on the ballot in November. It will pass by 70+% (you heard it here first folks) and there will be no new gas taxes to pay for the aminals to cross over I-90! Tally ho the fox

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 1:18 pm 
Quote:
It will pass by 70+% (you heard it here first folks)
It's like deja vu all over again!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 1:38 pm 
It was true then it will be true again. BPJ was right in the end. I think the PCT thru-hikers should have bridges accross busy roads like I-90, HWY 2, and HWY 20. They could get hit on their way to the other side. Remember they may not have seen a car in awhile and may not remember how dangerous they can be!!!!!! eek.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 7:09 pm 
Lead Dog wrote:
…How many people travel over I-90 in a year? Over a million maybe, how many of those hit a deer or elk or bear ect. Very very few. For a state to spend money on something as unnessary as this to please some special interest groups... smacks of irresponsibility and waste. Lets spend valuable transportation dollars where it is needed most, 520, I-5, Hwy 18, Hwy 167, repairing the roads that we already have ect. FIRST. They jsut don't git it shakehead.gif
To clear up some of the assertions in your rant, source paraphrased: http://www.i90wildlifebridges.org/resources.htm
Quote:
1) About 9.8 million vehicles travel over Snoqualmie Pass every year. Demand is expected to increase steadily over the next 20 years. 2) Between 1990-1998 684 deer and elk were killed on I-90 between mile posts 35 at Snoqualmie Pass and at mile post 89 on the eastern edge of Cle Elum. More recent data covering the years 1998-2002 shows the problem hasn’t improved. It is important to note these numbers only represent those deer and elk carcasses picked up by the DOT crews. Many deer and/or elk manage to get off the road and expire in the nearby woods or down in the ditch and are not picked up, and therefore not included in these numbers. 3) Some of the reasons stated for the project are as follows: i) WSDOT proposes widening the highway from four lanes to six to increase capacity. Sight distance will improve as curves are straightened. ii) The project will also eliminate road closures for avalanche control. It’s estimated that for every 24 hours the pass is closed, the state economy loses $16 million. iii) In addition to reducing risk from snow avalanches, the project will reduce the risk of falling rocks and debris from reaching the highway. iv) Wildlife passage structures will reduce collisions between vehicles and animals crossing the freeway. v) Help keep Cascades wildlife populations genetically viable by allowing genetic exchange. Larger populations of species are more resilient and allow wildlife and land managers greater flexibility. vi) Mitigate I-90’s impact to wetlands in the project area and improve function of the upper Yakima River system.
That you think such a project “smacks of irresponsibility and waste” is perfectly fine, but you'll benefit by getting the facts straight when making your case.