Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Windoze update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 1:13 pm 
Yesterday I got a popup from my computer asking if I wanted to do Windoze Updates automatically, which seemed like a good idea at the time. When I got up this morning, the computer had closed all open windows in order to do said update and I lost a lot of stuff I was working on. Now I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it off. Can someone tell me how to perform this presumably simple task?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 1:29 pm 
Click on the start button and select "Run...". Type "services.msc" to open the list of services. Find the Automatic Updates service, right click on it and select Stop. That should stop it for now. To disable it permanently, right click on it again and select Properties. Change the "Startup Type" to Manual and click OK. That should do it. MS released several new security updates for Windows XP yesterday, so I recommend everyone install them.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 1:33 pm 
Thanks. Will I still get the popups from time to time telling me that there are new things available? I prefer that, so I can shut things down when it's convenient for me.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 1:34 pm 
No, that should stop Automatic Updates completely. I'll see if I can find out how to just turn off the auto-installing.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 1:36 pm 
Ok, this is much easier: Click on the Start button and select Settings, then Contol Panel. There should be an entry for Automatic Updates -- click on that. That should give you all the options you need. You probably want to set the service back to Automatic via the instructions above.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 3:09 pm 
I use Windows Update option "Automatic- notify me of updates but don't install them." I'll do that myself. All critical/recommended ones I download but some non-critical updates (for other software) I never use. If it ain't broke... Of course I use Firefox for 99% of my browsing.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 3:52 pm 
You can also set it up so it installs the updates on shutdown so you do not risk losing anything.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 4:33 pm 
I'd recommend installing the IE hotfixes even if you never use IE. The components that IE uses are embedded pretty deeply in Windows and may be used by other applications. The same goes for Windows Messenger.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 4:53 pm 
Ditto what MCaver says. He speaks the truth.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 4:55 pm 
So they make ya take this free software (IE) when ya buy Windoze, and then even if ya never use it, you're vulnerable because it's on your computer. Doesn't seem like free's such a good deal to me. mad.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 5:09 pm 
The line between Windows funcionality and IE functionality is definitely blurred these days. Some of the basic web browsing functionality, like HTML and XML rendering, are shared between the two to the point that I don't even know which development team is actually responsible for it. I personally think of IE as a component of Windows rather than a separate product, although I think that would get me in trouble with some folks at MS and maybe the DOJ. tongue.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 5:12 pm 
Not only that but it is integrated into their programing tools such as the msft versions of C# and the like. So it will even pop up handles in 3rd party software frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 5:35 pm 
MCaver wrote:
I'd recommend installing the IE hotfixes even if you never use IE. The components that IE uses are embedded pretty deeply in Windows and may be used by other applications. The same goes for Windows Messenger.
Is that still aplicable for IE 6.0 with the service pack 1?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Justan

Justan
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 5:50 pm 
MCaver wrote:
The line between Windows funcionality and IE functionality is definitely blurred these days.... tongue.gif
It has been since windows '98....

-Justan Elk
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 8:20 pm 
DONT TO IT AUTO!! They try and cram alot of crap down your throat, but do look for updates, ask if you don't know case to case, but all the hackers gun for Windows and outlook etc etc. So security updates are needed if you use this stuff.